a butter substitute, margarine is preferred for its spreadable consistency straight from the fridge.
Margarine, originally known as oleomargarine, is produced from vegetable – and sometimes animal - fats that have undergone hydrogenation to create a solid. Most “regular” margarines contain trans-fatty acids and/or saturated fats, which is no healthier than butter, but many brands have little or no cholesterol.
Margarine is convenient because it is spreadable even when cold.
In the late 1800s, a French chemist was asked to develop a butter alternative that would be cheap and not melt at room temperature. The intent was to create a product that would be useful in troop rations.
The substitute, which looked like lard, eventually received acceptance in the
• Tubs, bottles, sprays, and sticks are produced by a variety of manufacturers.
• Salted and unsalted versions are available, along with gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and organic.
• “Soft” margarine contains less trans-fats.
“Regular” or “hard” margarine can replace butter in most baking. By law, an 80% oil content is required, which means it can be substituted in any recipe that uses butter. These may contain some animal fats. The oil content is listed only on reduced fat products.
• Refrigerate for two months or longer after opening and freeze for as long as a year. Unopened, it can remain in the refrigerator for several months.
• Keep tubs and bottles tightly closed to avoid absorbing odors from other foods.
• Many recipes – especially those found on product labels – have been adapted to the use of margarines that have as little as 60% oil content.
by BigOven team and Steve Murch
Find more recipes that contain Margarine. These are recipes with "Margarine" anywhere in the recipe.
Browse 250,000+ recipes or add your own
|My Try Soons||Chicken||Grill||BBQ and Grilling|
|My Favorites||Beef||BBQ||Kid Friendly|
|Recipes I've Added||Vegetarian||Slow Cooker||Diabetic|
|Vegan||Bread Machine||Gluten Free|
|Winter||Seafood||Deep Fryer||Quick and Easy|
|Spring||Pork||Ice Cream Maker||Elegant|
|Use up Leftovers