When making mayonnaise from scratch for special recipes, use only the best olive oil. The taste difference is astounding.
While there is argument about its exact origins, there is no doubt about its flavorful addition to a wide range of foods.
Many cooks choose to make mayonnaise from scratch. It is a simple process that typically combines egg yolks and vinegar. Often, mustard and olive oil or lemon juice are added. The process must be precise for the ingredients to emulsify, whether in a blender or whipped by hand.
True mayonnaise contains approximately 70% - 80% fat, which may be a drawback for some diets. Flavored versions are gaining popularity.
Reduced fat or fat-free versions and salad dressings are a healthful alternative. These are not classified as the “real thing,” as they do not contain egg yolks.
Always check the “use by” date. However, the shelf life can usually extend beyond that. Depending on use, you’ll have choices among glass, plastic, and squeeze containers.
• Always refrigerate opened jars. They should remain stable for about six months.
• Commercial mayonnaise can indeed remain at room temperature for some time without danger of bacterial growth, but it may lose flavor.
• Freezer or extremely cold temperatures will cause separation and an unpleasant change in texture.
• Homemade mayonnaise will last four days, at most, in the refrigerator.
Aside from the standard dips and other mixes, mayonnaise can be dressed up with the addition of herbs and spices such as:
Use one of the following as a replacement for one cup of mayonnaise:
• 1 cup cottage cheese (after pureeing)
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1/2 cup yogurt and ½ cup cottage cheese (pureed)
• Salad dressing
• Fat-free/low-fat versions
by BigOven team and Steve Murch
Find more recipes that contain Mayo. These are recipes with "Mayo" anywhere in the recipe.
Browse 250,000+ recipes or add your own
|My Try Soons||Chicken||Grill||BBQ and Grilling|
|My Favorites||Beef||BBQ||Kid Friendly|
|Recipes I've Added||Vegetarian||Slow Cooker||Diabetic|
|Vegan||Bread Machine||Gluten Free|
|Winter||Seafood||Deep Fryer||Quick and Easy|
|Spring||Pork||Ice Cream Maker||Elegant|
|Use up Leftovers