Verified by stevemur
Praline-Taffy-Apple Pie Preparation
1. For pastry: Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to form a 12-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim even with rim of pie plate. For top crust, roll out the remaining dough. Set aside.
2. For praline mixture: Combine the brown sugar, pecans, 1/3 cup flour, and melted butter or margarine. Mix well and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt. Add the apples and toss to coat.
4. Transfer half of the apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Top with half of the praline mixture. Top with all the caramels. Repeat layers with the apples and praline mixture.
5. Cut slits in top crust; place on filling and trim 1/2 inch beyond the edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry, fluting edge. Brush crust with the half and half, cream, or milk. Cover edge with foil.
6. Bake the pie in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden and apples are tender. Serve warm. Makes 10 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie: In a mixing bowl, stir together 2-1/2 cups unbleached flour or all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in 3/4 cup shortening and 1/4 cup cold butter until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water over the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until all is moistened. Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. Cover; chill for at least 1 hour or until the dough is easy to handle.
Note: For a lattice-topped pie, trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of the pie plate. Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Fill pastry-lined pie plate as directed. Weave strips over filling for lattice. Press ends of the strips into crust rim. Fold the bottom pastry over strips; seal and crimp the edge.
Nutritional facts per serving
calories: 559, total fat: 30g, cholesterol: 29mg, sodium: 291mg, carbohydrate: 69g, fiber: 3g
This was a very good apple pie!!! I found it alittle too sweet for my taste, next time I make this I will use the listed amount of caramels(I love caramel), but cut the granulated sugar from 2/3 cup to 1/3 cup and see if it''s not quite as sweet. I'll add a little nutmeg next time too.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?