Balti Baby Chicken in Tamarind Sauce
A delicious indian meal with a tangy, rather than traditional curry flavour. The cherry tomatoes are refreshing and the whole meal leaves you looking forward to the next time. Try serving with homemade Spiced Basmati Rice.
"Very yummy, and surprisingly authentic tasting. I usually can't get Inidan food quite right, but this was great! A few of the ingredients were hard to find so here's what I learned... coriander sprigs are really just cilantro (same plant, weird, 'huh), onion seeds can go by several different names as well."- rwhitacre
7 people want to try | 19 have favorited
|4 tblspoonsTomato Ketchup|
|1 tblspoonsTamarind paste|
|1 1/2 teaspoonChilli powder|
|1 1/2 teaspoonSalt|
|1 1/2 teaspoonGinger pulp|
|1 1/2 teaspoonGarlic pulp|
|2 tblspoonsCoconut; shredded|
|2 tblspoonsSesame seeds|
|1 teaspoonPoppy seeds|
|1 teaspoonGround cumin|
|1 1/2 teaspoonGround coriander|
|6 mediumChicken breast; cut into 8 pieces each|
|5 tblspoonsCorn oil|
|8 tblspoonsCurry leaves|
|1/2 teaspoonOnion seeds|
|3 largeDried red chillies|
|10 Cherry tomatoes|
|3 tblspoonsCoriander sprigs; chopped, fresh|
|2 Green chillies; chopped, fresh|
Balti Baby Chicken in Tamarind Sauce Preparation
1. Put the tomato ketchup, tamarind paste and water into a large mixing bowl and use a fork to blend everything together.
2. Add the chilli powder, salt, sugar, ginger pulp, garlic pulp, shredded coconut, sesame and poppy seeds, ground cumin and ground coriander to the mixture.
3. Add the chicken pieces and stir until well coated with the spice mixture and set to one side.
4. Heat the oil in a deep round-bottomed frying pay or large karahi. Add the curry leaves, onion seeds, dried red chillies an fenugreek seeds and fry for about 1 minute.
5. Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken pieces, along with their sauce, two or three pieces at a time, mixing as you go. When all the pieces are in the pan, stir them around using a slotted spoon.
6. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the chicjken is thoroughly cooked.
7. Finally, add the tomatoes, fresh coriander and green chillies and serve with rice and cashew nuts if desired.
Tastes great, but not overpowering. Leave out the fresh chillies if preferred
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Balti Baby Chicken in Tamarind Sauce Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven