Fanny Farmer's Macaroni and Cheese
Pinch of dried mustard - optional
"I've used this recipe for years and it is soooo good!!! I've never used cayenne in it tho.. might try that! I always use cracker barrel sharp cheddar cheese and it is worth the price because it makes it soooo good! I also add some garlic powder and Dijon mustard to the cheeses sauce (something I got from another recipe.) you can't go wrong with this recipe! It is sooo yummy!"- Stormy222
183 people want to try | 471 have favorited
Fanny Farmer's Macaroni and Cheese Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
3. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown - about 2 minutes.
4. Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more..
6. Stir in cup grated Cheddar cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking, along with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
7. Remove from the heat
8. Butter a 1 -quart casserole.
9. Put the cooked macaroni into the casserole, pour the cheese sauce over it, and mix gently with a fork.
10. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top and spread the crumbs over the cheese.
11. Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Fanny Farmer's Macaroni and Cheese Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven