Warming Cream of Spinach Soup
This is quick, inexpensive and nutritious, yet so delicious that I could eat it every day. Real comfort food."I made this soup tonight with a few [personal] changes. To start, I sauteed up a whole onion and a few minced cloves of garlic. I also use 2 bundles of fresh spinach and let that wilt down in the sauteed onion/garlic mix. Once that was thoroughly reduced, I sprinkled in the flour and mixed really well.
Following that I followed the liquid addition that the recipe called for and the recipe came out great! I garnished it with a bit of feta cheese that we had in the fridge - a perfect compliment! I would highly recommend this recipe. It's easy, healthy, and delicious!" - Lehcarrox
Yield: 4 Ready in 45 minutes
favorite of 1,042 people 729 people want to try
Verified by stevemur
Warming Cream of Spinach Soup Preparation
1. To prepare, chop the half onion. Measure the milk and chicken broth and heat together on the stove or in the microwave. If you wish, you may use just milk or just chicken broth.
2. Put the frozen spinach in a pot, cover, and allow to thaw completely. Alternately, you may microwave it.
3. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients in this recipe. Add the onion and sautee until translucent.
4. Sprinkle flour into butter and stir. Add 1/4 cup of the broth/milk liquid and whisk or stir in until smooth. Repeat 1/4 cup at a time until all of the liquid is incorporated, reheating each time you add liquid. Once you have added all of the liquid, allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the spinach to the liquid. Heat through, then season to taste.
6. Blend the soup with a hand blender or in a blender. Return to the pot and reheat. Taste and season again if necessary.
This soup is great as-is or garnished with anything your heart desires, such as gorgonzola, yogurt, herbs, or chutney.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Warming Cream of Spinach Soup Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: