Ready in 45 minutes
This is quick, inexpensive and nutritious, yet so delicious that I could eat it every day. Real comfort food.
"I made this soup tonight with a few [personal] changes. To start, I sauteed up a whole onion and a few minced cloves of garlic. I also use 2 bundles of fresh spinach and let that wilt down in the sauteed onion/garlic mix. Once that was thoroughly reduced, I sprinkled in the flour and mixed really well.
Following that I followed the liquid addition that the recipe called for and the recipe came out great! I garnished it with a bit of feta cheese that we had in the fridge - a perfect compliment! I would highly recommend this recipe. It's easy, healthy, and delicious!"
Top-ranked recipe named "Warming Cream of Spinach Soup"
1. To prepare, chop the half onion. Measure the milk and chicken broth and heat together on the stove or in the microwave. If you wish, you may use just milk or just chicken broth.
2. Put the frozen spinach in a pot, cover, and allow to thaw completely. Alternately, you may microwave it.
3. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients in this recipe. Add the onion and sautee until translucent.
4. Sprinkle flour into butter and stir. Add 1/4 cup of the broth/milk liquid and whisk or stir in until smooth. Repeat 1/4 cup at a time until all of the liquid is incorporated, reheating each time you add liquid. Once you have added all of the liquid, allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the spinach to the liquid. Heat through, then season to taste.
6. Blend the soup with a hand blender or in a blender. Return to the pot and reheat. Taste and season again if necessary.
This soup is great as-is or garnished with anything your heart desires, such as gorgonzola, yogurt, herbs, or chutney.
natster228 3 months agoThis was delicious! I used 1 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 9 oz. package of fresh spinach, and also sauteed 2 garlic cloves with the onions. The cayenne pepper and tobasco sauce make this soup great so don't skip on those. I also squeezed in a bit of lemon juice at the end. I was truly surprised by how much flavor this simple recipe had! Will definitely make again.
alishamommyof5 3 months agoOne of our favorites! Even my picky eaters eat this soup.
chandelleur 6 months agoVery delicious once I adjusted it. The end product of the recipe itself wasn't too flavorful, so I added lots more of the nutmeg, and some puréed beans to thicken it up. The Tabasco sauce seemed unusual for soup, but it gives this soup a wonderful kick. 4 stars because of all the adjusting, but a very good recipe.
Jbluedog274 1 year agoJust ok to me. Definitely needed more flavor. Tasted like warm puréed spinach, which I like but was expecting more.
mistspam 1 year ago
CamilleNG 1 year agoVery nice soup which I will have to try again. The texture is a bit too thick for me, so I recommend to add less flour. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
RicksterD17 1 year agoIt is raining and cold today. This is a perfect recipe for today. I love it!!
Epsom 1 year agoDelicious! The entire family loves it. Thanks for posting!
Aischababy 1 year agoGreat soup I like it a lot, not really soup more like a creamed spinach. I added a little fat free yoghurt. Feels good to eat healthy!
DogsDinner 1 year agoGood and easy soup, liked it very much. Very nice with some buttered bread.