Ready in 45 minutes
A creamy soup of butternut squash with butter-fried sage.
"This is a great recipe. It is simple and allows for the cook to experiment with tiny additions without completely worrying about the overall recipe (because it is so simple). I recommend using yams/sweet potato instead of regular potatoes. Or, a slight variation I have made includes the addition of a teaspoon of curry powder."- CristianP
1,410 people want to try | 1,921 have favorited
1. Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a large pot. Add chopped onions and sautee for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
2. Add potatoes, squash, paprika and broth. Bring to a boil and then turn down, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
3. Remove soup from the heat. If you prefer a thicker soup, remove and reserve about 1 cup of liquid from the pot. Puree the soup with a hand blender or upright blender until smooth. Add reserved liquid to thin soup if desired.
4. Add the cream and stir. Return soup to heat and warm over medium heat, do not boil rapidly. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Put 1 tablespoon butter in a pan and fry sage over medium-high to high heat until leaves are crisp and the butter is browned. Garnish the soup bowls with sage leaves and if desired, sprinkle soups decoratively with the browned sage butter.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
PaulHomeChef 1 month agoAmazing as is! Used sage powder instead. Was just as good on day 4
Valerie411 1 month agoGreat soup for a rainy day!
agnewman85 1 month agoGreat tasting cream based soup. Excellent autumn tide fair.
elaineg1113 2 months ago
agneslewicki 2 months ago
binarydandy 4 months ago
Cooks4two 4 months agoThis recipe is really excellent. I skip the sage. I don't worry about using only a lb of squash. I just get a avg size squash and use the whole thing. Just use more broth (enough to just cover squash. Love that I didn't have to roast the squash first. Definitely doable on a weekender. Takes about 45
frantzrt 4 months agoTasted great! We took out the sage part and just sprinkled dry sage. Recommend serving with warm French bread.
CristianP 6 months agoThis is a great recipe. It is simple and allows for the cook to experiment with tiny additions without completely worrying about the overall recipe (because it is so simple). I recommend using yams/sweet potato instead of regular potatoes. Or, a slight variation I have made includes the addition of a teaspoon of curry powder.
chogasmom 9 months agoA nice mild soup. Left out sage
blakk73lion 10 months ago
dianmay 11 month ago
chefbetsy 11 month agoThis squash soup is delicious. I don't even add the cream which probably makes it even better. My kids won't eat squash but they love this squash soup!
Fnlvngrl 11 month agoGreat soup!!! I sautéed garlic and red chili peppers with the onion and substituted cumin for paprika. Turned out great. Will be making this again real soon. Thanks for posting this recipe.
MissPersia 11 month agoFirst time making it. It was good overall but I couldn't get past the scent of butter squash
shaneer 11 month agoVery good! I added Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream and didn't use the sage. Very nice.
Specter 11 month agoAwesome recipe. I have prepared it seven times already and it only gets better.
heatherbay 11 month ago
Tovas202 1 year agoSoooooo good, my first time making butternut soup and I found it easy. I added nutmeg. Yummmmm
junnewong 1 year agoIt tastes really good. Everyone loves it!