Butternut Squash Soup
A creamy soup of butternut squash with butter-fried sage."This is a great recipe. It is simple and allows for the cook to experiment with tiny additions without completely worrying about the overall recipe (because it is so simple). I recommend using yams/sweet potato instead of regular potatoes. Or, a slight variation I have made includes the addition of a teaspoon of curry powder." - CristianP
Yield: 4 Ready in 45 minutes
1,025 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
Butternut Squash Soup Preparation
1. Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a large pot. Add chopped onions and sautee for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
2. Add potatoes, squash, paprika and broth. Bring to a boil and then turn down, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
3. Remove soup from the heat. If you prefer a thicker soup, remove and reserve about 1 cup of liquid from the pot. Puree the soup with a hand blender or upright blender until smooth. Add reserved liquid to thin soup if desired.
4. Add the cream and stir. Return soup to heat and warm over medium heat, do not boil rapidly. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Put 1 tablespoon butter in a pan and fry sage over medium-high to high heat until leaves are crisp and the butter is browned. Garnish the soup bowls with sage leaves and if desired, sprinkle soups decoratively with the browned sage butter.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?