Lemongrass Shrimp over Rice Vermicelli and Vegetables
(Bun Tom Nuong Xa) Raw ingredients, such as cucumber, carrots, lettuce, mung bean sprouts, and fresh mint leaves, make this refreshing dish ideal for summer. (Cooking Light magazine 8-04)
Yield: 8 Ready in 45 minutes
favorite of 24 people 6 people want to try
Verified by stevemur
|1/3 cupThai fish sauce; such as Three Crabs|
|2 tablespoonsFresh lemongrass; finely chopped and peeled|
|1 tablespoonVegetable oil|
|2 clovesGarlic; minced|
|32 largeShrimp; peeled and deveined (1 1/2 pounds)|
|1 cupFresh lime juice; about 9 limes|
|3/4 cupCarrot; shredded|
|1/4 cupThai fish sauce|
|2 clovesGarlic; minced|
|2 eachThai chiles; seeded and minced|
|1/4 cupVegetable oil|
|3/4 cupShallots; thinly sliced|
|8 ouncesrice vermicelli; (banb hoai or bun giang tay)|
|3 1/2 cupsBoston lettuce; divided|
|2 cupsFresh bean sprouts; divided|
|1 3/4 cupsCarrot; shredded and divided|
|1 mediumCucumber; halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups) d|
|1/2 cupFresh mint; chopped|
|1/2 cupUnsalted dry-roasted peanuts; finely chopped|
Lemongrass Shrimp over Rice Vermicelli and Vegetables Preparation
1. To prepare shrimp, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally. Remove shrimp from bag; discard marinade.
2. To prepare sauce, combine the lime juice and next 5 ingredients (through chiles), stirring with whisk until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
3. To prepare shallot oil, heat 1/4 cup oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 5 minutes or until golden brown. Strain the shallot mixture through a sieve over a bowl. Reserve oil. Set fried shallots aside.
4. To prepare remaining ingredients, place rice vermicilli in a large bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain. Combine the noodles, shallot oil, 1 3/4 cups lettuce, 1 cup sprouts, 1 cup carrot, and 3/4 cup cucumber, tossing well.
5. To cook shrimp, prepare the grill to medium-heat,
6. Place shrimp on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Place 3/4 cup noodle mixture in each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 4 shrimp, about 3 tablespoons fried shallots. Serve with remaining lettuce, bean sprouts, carrot, cucumber, mint, and peanuts.
You can substitute pork tenderloin, beef sirloin, or chicken for the shrimp. Simply cut the meat into cubes, marinate for 2 hours, then skewer and grill until done.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Lemongrass Shrimp over Rice Vermicelli and Vegetables Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: