Steve's Mushroom, Spinach and Ground Turkey Lasagna
I've recently discovered "no pre-boil" noodles here in the US, and despite my initial skepticism, they really work extremely well."I varied the recipe a bit to use what I had on hand. I used frozen spinach (1 10oz) defrosted, frozen onion mix which had red and green peppers in it too, and carrot instead of celery (julianned and chopped). I generally try to pump up veggies in recipes, so I didn't really measure... :o) My husband, who initially said "lasagna should be stuffed with meat and cheese only", and scowled when I mentioned mushroom and spinach, ate it and LOVED it. The fresh basil is a must. I think next time I'll add a bit more spinach. ;o)
Definitely a great recipe and I will make it again for sure! " - Segermark
Yield: 16 Servings Ready in 45 minutes
favorite of 1,829 people 1,126 people want to try
Verified by stevemur
|6 cupsRicotta Cheese; part skim|
|1 bunchBasil; fresh|
|18 No-boil lasagna noodles; I prefer Ronzoni (US)|
|1 largeYellow onion|
|1 quartSpaghetti Sauce; or freshly-made basil and tomato|
|1 can (12 oz)Chopped Tomatoes|
|2 cupsMushrooms; sliced|
|2 largeGarlic; cloves|
|4 cupsMozzarella; grated|
|1 lbGround turkey|
|3 tablespoonolive oil|
|2 stalksCelery; chopped|
|1 cupSpinach; whole-leaf washed and dried|
Steve's Mushroom, Spinach and Ground Turkey Lasagna Preparation
Preheat oven to 375F.
Wash and dry spinach leaves thoroughly. Cut off stems.
Prepare Meat Sauce:
1) Over medium-high heat, sautee celery, garlic (minced), and the chopped onion in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until medium brown. Add oregano. Set aside.
2) In same pan, saute mushrooms until brown. Set aside.
3) In same pan, saute ground turkey until brown -- drain liquid. Add mushrooms and onion/celery/garlic mixture from step 1. Add spaghetti sauce and chopped tomatoes. Season with pepper to taste (if you've used a store-bought spaghetti sauce, chances are you won't need additional salt.) Bring pan to low and simmer.
4) Meanwhile, in large lasagna pan, spoon 5-6 tablespoonsful of the tomato sauce mixture to the bottom of the pan (this is to prevent noodles from sticking).
5) Arrange enough noodles in bottom of pan to cover. Do not overlap.
6) In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, and basil.
7) Spoon 1/2 the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles, top with a layer of spinach leaves, then mozzarella, then meat sauce. Add noodles and repeat -- ricotta cheese, spinach, meats sauce, mozarella. Then noodles. Add meat sauce and top with mozarella cheese on top to finish.
Cover with aluminum foil ("tent" it a little, to ensure the cheese doesn't stick) and bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with a simple tossed salad, Italian Dressing and a bottle of Pinot Grigio or your favorite Italian red wine for a great meal.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Steve's Mushroom, Spinach and Ground Turkey Lasagna Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: