Ready in 45 minutes
This soup is so creamy you'll be surprised there's not actually any cream in it. This is great as a warm soup but is also very elegant served chilled.
"I substituted water mixed with a little Braggs for the bouillon & salt (vegetarian, low-sodium option) and used fresh parsley in the yogurt (didn't have tarragon). I think some fresh lemon juice might give it a little more zing, but it's a keeper."- woodandbronze
613 people want to try | 868 have favorited
1. Mix the yogurt and tarragon and set aside to let the flavor infuse.
2. Remove the tough ends from the asparagus. Reserve two heads for garnish for every bowl you plan to serve, and chop the rest into 1 to 2 inch pieces.
3. Peel and cube the potatoes.
4. Chop the onion and sautee in butter over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until translucent but not browned. Add the potato and sautee for two more minutes. Add the asparagus and sautee for about a minute more.
5. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until everything is tender. Put the reserved asparagus heads in a strainer and hang into the pot until bright green, then run under cold water and set aside.
6. Blend with a hand blender (or in a blender if you do not have one) until smooth. Return to heat, taste and season with salt and white pepper.
7. To serve, ladle some soup into a bowl. Put 1-2 teaspoons of the yogurt mixture in the center of the bowl, then top with two asparagus heads.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
MississippiMule 6 months agoThank you cajuntoast for a great soup receipt. I tried this receipt last night and it was wonderful! I love asparagus to start with and this was another great way to enjoy them!!
Healthymommy 7 months agoI loved this soup! Thank you! I added a couple cloves of garlic for added flavor.
mtkohnke 9 months agoDelicious and easy!
ChefLidstone 9 months agoI added garlic when I sautéed and used sour cream with oregano, thyme, and ground cumin...was delicious!!
Valerie411 1 year agoGreat taste! Added garlic and Italian seasoning.
candaceshreves 1 year agoIt is very healthy, if you are trying to cut down on carbohydrates and it taste great love it!
JackWC 1 year agoGreat soup! I tried deglazing with 1/4 cup white wine before adding the stock
JWGaudette 1 year agoEasy and excellent, great use of leftover asparagus.
dabrews 1 year agoSimple, delicate, versatile...winner!!!!
Omnivorous_Knid 1 year agoDelicious. No subs, I love asparagus and wouldn't allow any. The use of an immersion blender was helpful in this, thank you for mentioning this.
Ioana11 1 year agoThis was delicious! Used vegetable broth instead to make it vegetarian.
woodandbronze 2 years agoI substituted water mixed with a little Braggs for the bouillon & salt (vegetarian, low-sodium option) and used fresh parsley in the yogurt (didn't have tarragon). I think some fresh lemon juice might give it a little more zing, but it's a keeper.
stevemur 2 years agoThis was great; I added some sour cream at the end.
Soques 3 years agoThis was great. Added a little cinnamon to it instead of salt with some pepper it was a great alternative.
TamaraGagnon 3 years agoIt was pretty good. I added sour cream, didn't have tarragon.
MSchisler 3 years agoEnjoyed this recipe very much with 2 slight modifications I added a bit more yogurt and switched the white pepper for black pepper. Great recipe!
LHein83 3 years agoVery good, quick, clean recipe!!
sandifoster 3 years agoI added some cream and thickened it a bit with arrowroot powder.
goducks14 4 years agoVERY easy to make and came out even better than I could have thought! Wonderful recipe - can't wait to make this one again for a larger gathering!
Chinchef123 4 years agoIt was good something different for a change