Beef With Broccoli Stir Fry
The secret to this recipe is cooking the beef in 1 cup of oil to seal in the juices, and cooking the broccoli in water to make it crisp and tender. For a more authentic touch, try using Chinese broccoli, which has an appearance and taste similar to asparagus."Very good!!! I didn't have oyster sauce so I left it out. I used brown sugar and added ground ginger to meat marinade. Instead of boiling my veggies, I added 2 tblsp sesame oil to my wok on quick stir fried my veggies, see my picture. I added broccoli, green onion, carrots, and sprinkled w a little more rice vinegar, soy sauce, and gonger. I then added my cooked meat and tossed around to mix up and served over white rice. Thanks for sharing!!!" - Bvanhoogten
Yield: 4 Ready in 30 minutes
612 people trying soon
|3/4 poundlean beef|
|-- MARINADE --|
|rice vinegar; (substitute rice wine if desired)|
|1 tSoy sauce|
|-- SAUCE --|
|2 tboyster sauce|
|1 tbLight soy sauce|
|1 tDark soy sauce|
|-- THICKENER --|
|1 tcornstarch; mixed with 1 tablespoon water|
|1 lbfresh broccoli|
|-- TO COOK BROCCOLI --|
|1/4 tsalt; or to taste|
|1/2 tsugar; or to taste|
|-- OTHER --|
|1 1/4 cupsoil; or as needed|
Beef With Broccoli Stir Fry Preparation
1. Cut the beef across the grain into thin slices. Add the marinade ingredients, adding the cornstarch last (use your fingers to rub it in). Marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
2. While the beef is marinating, prepare the sauce and vegetables: for the sauce, mix together the oyster sauce, light soy, dark soy, and water in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In another small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water thickener and set aside.
4. Wash and drain the broccoli. Cut the stalk diagonally into thin slices. Cut the flowerets into 3 or 4 pieces. Crush the garlic.
5. Heat the wok and add 1 cup oil. When the oil is medium-hot (between 300 and 325 degrees F.), add the beef. Blanch the beef by letting it lay flat for 30 - 40 seconds, and then stirring to separate the pieces. Remove the beef when it changes color and is nearly cooked (the entire process takes 1 - 2 minutes).
6. Remove the beef from the wok and drain on paper towels. Clean out the wok with paper towels.
7. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the crushed garlic and stir fry briefly until aromatic.
8. Add the broccoli, sprinkle the salt and sugar over, and stir fry briefly, turning down the heat if necessary to make sure it doesn't burn. Add the 1/2 cup water, and cook the broccoli, covered, for 4 - 5 minutes, until it turns a bright green and is tender but still crisp. Remove from the wok and drain.
9. Clean out the wok and add 2 more tablespoons oil. Add the vegetables and the beef. Add the sauce and cornstarch mixture in the middle of the wok and stir quickly to thicken. Mix everything 0together and serve hot over steamed rice.
This is a family staple! It's always popular, and can be prepared in under 1/2 hour!
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?