39 people want to try | 56 have favorited
For the SYRUP:
Dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the ginger, cream of tartar and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add one to two teaspoons of glycerine just before removing syrup from heat. This gives the koeksusters their shiny surface. Cool thoroughly before using. While dipping the koeksusters, place the container of syrup, in a large basin with ice cubes. This prevents the syrup from becoming to warm.
For the KOEKSUSTERS:
1. Sift the dry ingredients and rub in the butter with your fingertips.
2. Beat the egg, add the milk (or water) and mix lightly to a soft dough. Knead well and leave for 2 hours or longer. For a drier texture, replace butter with 4 teaspoons oil. Beat the oil into the egg mixture.
3. Roll out to 1cm thickness (slightly less than 1/2 inch), cut into strips and braid or twist them.
4. Deep fry 5 to 6 koeksusters at a time for 1 to 2 minutes or until one side is golden brown, turn over with a fork and fry the other side.
5. Remove, drain on paper towel and then plunge each one into the cold syrup for a few seconds.
6. Drain on a flat plate or platter.
This recipe makes about 5-6 dozen koeksusters.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?