Ready in 45 minutes
Vetkoek is an Afrikaans word meaning "Fat Cake". My husband thinks of Afrikaans cooking as famous for mixing sweet and savoury together in the same dish. In any case, this is a very popular and traditional dish in South Africa.
"i have been sitting in china for the past six months, and had a craving for something from home...wow...am i happy to get this recipe....quick and easy...soft and fluffy was the final result.
brings back great memories.
Thanks. every one should try it!"
39 people want to try | 80 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Vetkoek"
* Some leftover vegetable curry works if you can't get jars of this by you. Otherwise make yourself up a mini batch of veggie biryani to use. And if you need to, email me and I will see if I can find an easy recipe that is similar to the canned curry you find in grocery stores in South Africa.
1. Stir sugar in the lukewarm water and add the yeast.
2. Sieve the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
3. Add oil to the yeast liquid.
4. Mix dry ingredients with yeast liquid using a wooden spoon.
5. Work to a firm dough, adding extra flour if needed, until sides of bowl are clean.
6. Turn dough on to a lightly floured table and knead thouroughly until it is firm, elastic and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes).
7. Shape dough into a ball and place into mixing bowl and cover with cloth.
8. Allow dough to double in size and dough springs back when pressed with a floured finger (60 minutes in a warm place, 2 hours at room temperature).
9. Turn risen dough onto a lightly floured surface, flatten to knock out air bubbles and knead to make firm. Flatten to about 1 cm thick (little less than inch) and cut pieces into 8 cm x 8 cm (3" x 3").
10. Cook in warm deed oil until brown.
11. Slice open and smear with butter, jam or mince filling (many people actually would use all three).
Fry onions in oil until light brown. Add ground beef and cook for about 15 minutes. Add potatoes and enough water to cook gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetable curry and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. The mince should not be watery.
superbru43 4 years agoThis is a Great food to get the whole family involved. Especially on winter nights, it is heartwarmin. Choice of fillings can be sweet or savory. thanks for this
pepperedbutler 4 years agoi have been sitting in china for the past six months, and had a craving for something from home...wow...am i happy to get this recipe....quick and easy...soft and fluffy was the final result. brings back great memories. Thanks. every one should try it!
cleverkt 8 years ago[I posted this recipe.]