Texas-style Chili Con Carne
Authentic chili made with big chunks of meat."i made some mods to this recipe, using a roasted poblano,toasted cumin, ancho, chipotle,and cayenne chili powders, it was a great bowl of chili" - lchead
Yield: 6 Servings Ready in 8 hours
favorite of 219 people 72 people want to try
Verified by SunnyJF
|8 slicesBacon; chopped|
|5 poundsBeef chuck roast; trimmed and cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces|
|1 Onion; medium, chopped|
|Salt and pepper; to taste|
|2 Jalapeno peppers; stemmed, seeded, and minced|
|3 tablespoonsChili powder|
|1 tablespoonCumin; ground|
|5 clovesGarlic; minced|
|1 (28-oz) canTomatoes; crushed|
|4 cupsChicken broth|
|2 Chipotles; canned in adobo sauce|
|3 (15.5-oz) cansBlack beans|
|1/4 cupCilantro; rinsed|
|2 tablespoonsLime juice; fresh|
Texas-style Chili Con Carne Preparation
1. Cook bacon in dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, stirring often. Remove the bacon and reserve it.
2. Dry the beef with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Cook beef one layer at a time, browning thoroughly on all sides. Push browned beef to the side to add more. When all beef is browned, push to the side and add onion, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, and tsp. salt. Stir in garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Combine the ingredients and add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and lime juice.
4. On lowest possible heat, cover and cook 6-7 hours, checking often to be sure the mixture has not gone dry. Add a small amount of water if necessary.
5. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Texas-style Chili Con Carne Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven