Spinach and Cheese Souffle
This tasty adaptation of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" souffle, is so delicious that even finiky eaters will gobble it up!"Very straightforward, clear instructions. If you use Cream of Tartar to whip the egg whites, use a scant 1/4 tsp and don't over-aerate. Also, in my oven, the cooking time was 35 minutes, but I should have left it in another three minutes. You also might want to work the spinach over with a chef knife, as the as-packaged texture was a little coarse. The S" - wilburthebud
Yield: 8 Ready in 45 minutes
348 people trying soon
|1 containerNonstick Cooking Spray; Enough to line pan|
|1/4 cupParmesan cheese; grated|
|4 tablespoonButter (or Margarine); melted|
|1 smallOnion; diced|
|1 packageFrozen chopped Spinach; thawed|
|1/2 cupCheddar cheese; grated|
|8 largeEgg; separated|
|1/4 teaspoonBlack pepper|
|1/4 teaspoonBaking soda|
Spinach and Cheese Souffle Preparation
A-1) Heat oven to 400
2) Spray inside surfaces of 8 inch x 8 cup souffl dish or other 8 inch by 4 inch or higher bake able pot/casserole, then "flour" with the grated parmesan or other finely grated cheese. (this will give souffl traction to rise. If needed sides can be extended by wrapping either bakers parchment or aluminum foil around pan to increase height. If using foil, treat as the pan sides. Souffl will double in volume!
B) In saucepan, melt butter, add the diced onion, and cook until translucent.
2) Gradually stir in flour.
3) Allow butter-flour mixture to cook for a few minutes.
4) Add the chopped spinach, no need to drain, as water will be part of the liquid additions.
5) Slowly stir in milk and cook until thickened.
6) Reduce heat and stir in grated cheddar cheese.
7) When cheese is melted. Turn off heat and allow to start cooling
8) Add egg yolks one at a time stirring to keep thick, add salt, and pepper to taste. When all yolks are added, start whipping the egg whites, this will allow for more cooling time.
C-1) Add the baking soda to the egg whites and whip until stiff, they should form and hold peaks.
2) Slowly fold stiff egg whites into cheese mixture.
3) Pour mixture into prepared souffl pan.
D) Place on middle rack of oven and turn oven down to 350
1) Bake 30-40 minutes. DO NOT OPEN OVEN for first 25 minutes! 2) Souffl will hold in oven for about 5 minutes, but ideally should be served immediately.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?