Ready in 2 hours
Yes that's right - 40 garlic cloves, about four heads of garlic! Try to use large, plump. fresh heads. Best-ever chicken guaranteed! After two hours of slow roasting ,the chicken is fragrant and melt-in-the-mouth tender, and the roasted cloves of garlic are a sublime spread on toasted crusty bread. This aromatic provencale dish cooks the garlics to a soft puree that is sweet, nutty and socially acceptable the morning after. My family have been enjoying this for years, and they think I put a lot of work into it. But instead for two hours you can put your feet up!
"When I made this I was out of rosemary, so I used rubbed sage instead. And it is fantastic! So fantastic that I've made it this way three times now! However ... though you are fairly non-offensive in the morning -- no garlic smell seeping through your skin -- it made me gassy. Very garlicy gassy. So great if you're staying at home! "- teriwood
129 people want to try | 249 have favorited
total cooking time 2 hours preparation time 20 minutes.
1. WASH and clean the inside cavity of each chicken, and pat dry with absorbent paper.
2. Rub oil over each chicken. Season each generously with salt and pepper, using your hands to rub the seasoning thoroughly over the chicken.
3. Tuck the wing tips under the chicken, place a few lemon slices inside the cavity of each chicken, followed by sprigs of herbs.
4. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
5. Place the chickens side by side in a deep casserole dish (one with a tight fitting lid).
6. See note:
7. Twist the central stalk of the garlic heads to loosen the cloves, rub away any loose papery skin but don't peel the cloves.
8. Sprinkle cloves around the chickens, add remaining lemon slices and sprigs of herbs, and drizzle with extra olive oil.
9. Note: If you do not have a tight fitting lid use sealing paste.
10. TO MAKE SEALING PASTE blend flour with combined oil and water to form a dough-like paste. With your fingers, spread the paste around the edge of the casserole dish and gently press the lid over the paste.
11. COOK the chicken in a moderately slow 160c oven for 2 hours. Do not remove the lid.
12. A green salad is all you need as an accompaniment.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
Smokielufc 1 year agoBest chicken ever. Stays moist throughout. Spread the roasted garlic on freshly toasted bread. Delicious.
mofeese 5 years agoThis recipe is so delicious. I will make one day and try and tell how delicious it was to make for my whole family.
Pincus 5 years agoboring
teriwood 7 years agoWhen I made this I was out of rosemary, so I used rubbed sage instead. And it is fantastic! So fantastic that I've made it this way three times now! However ... though you are fairly non-offensive in the morning -- no garlic smell seeping through your skin -- it made me gassy. Very garlicy gassy. So great if you're staying at home!
princessfiona 7 years agoWow! Sounds wonderful!
promfh 7 years agoWhat a wonderful recipe. With the livestock show going on here, whole chickens are plentiful and cheap. This is a great way to prepare one.
rainbowbrush 7 years agoposted zaar [I posted this recipe.]