This is worth assembling the ingredients for your own barbecue sauce. I loved basting the chicken over the barbecue grill. This recipe originated from my mother, which got me hooked on taste of home recipes. I like the personal comments to recipes & have loved TOH ever since (hey.. like Big Oven too! go fig!)
Yield: 12 Servings Ready in 1 hours, 30 minutes
128 people trying soon
|2 wholechicken; cut up|
|2 tablespoonsOnion powder|
|2 teaspoonsGarlic powder|
|1 1/2 teaspoonsChili powder|
|1 1/2 teaspoonsPepper|
|1/4 teaspoonGround turmeric|
|1 pinchGround red pepper|
|3 tablespoonsBrown sugar|
|2 tablespoonsdried onion; minced|
|2 tablespoonsorange juice; thawed|
|1 tablespoonSeasoning Mix|
|1/2 teaspoonLiquid smoke|
Barbecued Chicken Preparation
1. Heat barbecue/grill.
2. Pat chicken pieces dry so seasoning coats well; set aside.
3. Combine seasoning mix ingredients
4. Sprinkle generously over both sides of the chicken. Reserve 1 tablespoon mix for sauce.
Store leftovers in a covered container.
5. Grill chicken, skin side down, uncovered, over medium coals for 20 minutes.
6. Turn; grill 20 to 30 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
7. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
8. During the last 10 minutes of grilling, brush chicken often with sauce.
I have been cooking this for a decade & now a staple in our home. This came from the very first 'Taste of Home' computer cookbook.
To reduce the sodium amount, you can replace "Mrs Dash" type seasoning with the salt.
"We don't fry foods much anymore and prefer to barbecue, so I adapted my mother's recipe for barbecue sauce to suit our tastes," declares Linda Scott of Hahira, Georgia. "Every summer, we have a neighborhood cookout. I take this chicken and watch it disappear!"
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?