Braised Chicken Legs with Lemon
Poulet au Citron - adapted from Richard Olney's Simple French Food"Very easy to make - the chicken was creamy and the sauce delicious.
Serve with boiled rice, it was perfect!
TIP - definitely use a heavy-bottom dish though as will taste different if cooked in a teflon coated dish" - tigerloly
Yield: 4 Ready in 45 minutes
favorite of 84 people 31 people want to try
Braised Chicken Legs with Lemon Preparation
You will need: a stove and oven proof casserole dish (if you don't have a cover, use tin foil). A medium saucepan.
1. Heat some water in a saucepan and boil garlic cloves for 5 minutes. Drain and reserve garlic.
2. Heat stock in a saucepan, simmer garlic cloves in the stock, covered, for 40 minutes. Remove the garlic, reserving both garlic and stock.
3. Meanwhile, lightly brown the chicken legs in the butter in a heavy-bottomed casserole dish, about 15 minutes per side. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 375.
4. Pour off all but 1 or 2 tablespoons of the fat. Stir the flour into the fat for a minute or two. Add the wine, and heating over medium high heat, scrape any browned bits off the bottom. Stir until smooth. Add the stock and stir, then transfer to smaller saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce.
5. Return the chicken to the casserole and cover with the lemon slices and garlic. Pour the gravy over the chicken.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. Chicken will be wonderfully tender and the gravy is excellent.
Don't be put off by the amount of garlic in this - you will hardly taste it in the final dish. This is adapted from Richard Olney's Simple French Food - I reduced the amount of garlic and lemon and simplified some of the instructions.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Braised Chicken Legs with Lemon Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: