Moroccan lamb tagine
by Antony Worrall Thompson
from BBC Food and Drink"I took the advice of the person below and used her instructions for the missing instructions. It was fantastic! Really all enjoyed this." - larkinglesby
Yield: 4 Ready in 3 hours
58 people trying soon
|2 teaspoonsBlack Pepper; ground|
|2 tablespoonsGround ginger|
|2 tablespoonsGround cinnamon|
|1 tablespoonGround coriander|
|1 tablespoonGround cumin|
|1 shoulder of lamb; trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in chunks (about 1.1 kg/ 2 1/2lb meat|
|2 largeonions; grated|
|2 tablespoonsolive oil|
|2 tablespoonsargan oil; (see note)|
|3 clovesGarlic; crushed|
|570 mlsTomato juice|
|2 400-gram tinscanned chopped tomatoes|
|115 gramsdried apricots; cut in half|
|55 gramsdates; cut in half|
|55 gramssultanas or raisins|
|85 gramsflaked almonds|
|1 teaspoonsaffron stamens; soaked in cold water|
|600 milliliterslamb stock|
|1 tablespoonclear honey|
|2 tablespoonscoriander; roughly chopped|
|2 tablespoonsflat leaf parsley; roughly chopped|
Moroccan lamb tagine Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2.
2. Place the black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of argan oil in a large casserole dish. Add the grated onion and the spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes so that the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the crushed garlic for the final 3 minutes.
4. In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the cubes of lamb on all sides then add the browned meat to the casserole dish. De-glaze the frying pan with pint of tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.
5. Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins or sultanas, flaked almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, cover with a fitted lid, place in the oven and cook for 2-2 hours or until the meat is meltingly tender.
6. Place the lamb in a tagine or large serving dish and sprinkle
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?