Skillet Tamale Pie
Delicious"Had to substitute pinto beans for black beans as I have not been able to find them once in 4 years here in South Africa - but it was a dream. Family complimented " - cleverkt
Yield: 4 Ready in 30 minutes
16 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
|2 tablespoonVegetable oil|
|1 mediumOnion; minced|
|2 tablespoonChili powder|
|1 pinchSalt; to taste|
|1 pinchBlack pepper; to taste|
|2 clovesGarlic; minced|
|1 poundGround beef|
|1 15-oz canBlack beans; rinsed|
|1 14-oz canTomato; diced, drained|
|1 8-oz packageCorn bread mix|
|1 cupCheddar; shredded|
|2 tablespoonsCilantro; minced|
Skillet Tamale Pie Preparation
Oven Temp: 450F / 230C / Gas mark 8
1. Heat oil in 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, chili powder and teaspoon salt and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Stir in ground beef, beans and tomatoes, and bring to simmer, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix corn-bread batter according to package instructions.
4. Stir cheddar and cilantro into filling and season with salt and pepper to taste. Dollop corn-bread batter evenly over filling and spread into even layer.
5. Place skillet in oven and bake until corn bread is cooked through in center, 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve immediately with sour cream.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?