Ready in 45 minutes
I haven't made this yet - but I had to post it. Who knows where the name bunny chow comes from, but its a Durban specialty. My husband raves. Basically you hollow out a bread loaf and scoop curry on the inside. And eat down the bread and curry together. Its a lot of fun. May I suggest doing this for movies at home?
"The name comes from the food (chow) durban market traders or bhanis. It has translated over the years to bunny chow and is a personal favourite especially in colder months."- pda2
18 people want to try | 38 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Butter-Chicken Bunny Chow"
Prep Time: 15 minutes +8 hours marinating
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Oven Temp: 200C / 400F / Gas mark 6
1. Mix together the marinade ingedients and pour over the chicken pieces. Allow to marinate for up to 8 hours.
2. Place the chicken in a roasting pan with the marinade and roast for 10-15 minutes.
3. To make the sauce , saute the onion in the oil until soft, add the garlic & ginger, fenugreek, cardamom & masala, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the ground cashews, tomato paste, water, honey, cream, bay leaf and curry leaves, and simmer to a creamy consistency.
4. Add the chicken to the sauce and allow to heat through.
5. Cut off the top parts of the rolls to form little hats. Hollow out the bottom parts. Spoon the chicken mixture into each roll.
6. Garnish with oven roasted cashew nuts and rocket and replace the bread hats.
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
pda2 7 months agoThe name comes from the food (chow) durban market traders or bhanis. It has translated over the years to bunny chow and is a personal favourite especially in colder months.
cleverkt 7 years agoThis was great! Very mild though - I threw in some chiles at the end - after I had finished dishing up for the small ones!
cleverkt 7 years ago[I posted this recipe.]