Creamed Tomato and Bacon Soup with Croutons
Nice soup - they are always better than canned versions. Add less water for a thicker soup!
Yield: 6 Ready in 45 minutes
6 people trying soon
|1/2 poundStreaky Bacon|
|4 eachLeek; sliced|
|2 sticksCelery; chopped|
|12 eachTomato; chopped|
|1 largePotato; peeled, cubed|
|1 teaspoonBasil; dried|
|6 eachBay leaf; dried|
|1 small canTomato paste|
|10 cupChicken Stock|
|1 tablespoonLemon juice|
|Cream; to serve|
|4 slicesWhite bread; crusts removed|
Creamed Tomato and Bacon Soup with Croutons Preparation
Prep Time: 30 mins; Cook Time: 1 hour
1. Fry the bacon over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Once the bacon is cooked, remove half and set aside. Continue to fry the remaining bacon until crisp. Remove from the saucepan & place in a seperate bowl, then pour the bacon fat into another small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter in the same saucepan & add the leeks & celery. Cook over a low to medium heat for about 10 mins until the veggies are soft & golden. Add the tomatoes, potato, basil & bay leaves and stir well. Cover with a tight fitting lid & simmer over a gentle heat for 30 mins, without removing the lid.
3. Stir in the tomato paste & soft bacon, then remove from the heat. Blend in a food processor until smooth.
4. Return to the saucepan & add the stock. Cook until steaming, then add the lemon juice & sugar and season w/salt & pepper. Remove from the heat. Serve with a spoonful of cream, sprinkled w/ bacon & croutons.
5. Croutons - Heat the reserved bacon fat in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cut the bread into cubes & fry until crisp & golden.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Creamed Tomato and Bacon Soup with Croutons Reviews
[I posted this recipe.]
6 years, 6 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 39 minutes ago