Fat Boy's Favorite Etouffee
An experiment in playing Dr. Frankenstein with the unsatisfactory recipes found on the web for this "Holy Grail" of Cajun cooking. Feel free to modify the peppers and vegetables to your own preference, I tend to go for a little more "heat" then some prefer. And a final note, I use Splenda when I can because my girlfriend is watching her weight, but feel free to use sugar in its place.
Use smaller portions and this can be a very satifying side dish.
Yield: 8 Ready in 1 hours, 30 minutes
2 people trying soon
|2 tablespoonsBacon Grease|
|1 cubeVegetable bouillon|
|-- E'touffee --|
|1 1/3 cloveGarlic; minced|
|2 ribsCelery; chopped|
|1/3 cupYellow Onion; chopped|
|1/2 cupRed Bell Pepper; chopped|
|1/2 cupYellow Bell Pepper; chopped|
|1/2 cupGreen bell pepper; chopped|
|1/4 cupGreen Onions; chopped|
|1 wholeJalapeno pepper; cored and diced|
|1/2 wholeSerrano chile; cored and diced|
|1/3 wholeHabanero Pepper; cored and diced|
|1 4-oz canMushroom stems and peices; drained and chopped|
|2 dashesTabasco sauce|
|2 tablespoonsWorcestershire Sauce|
|2/3 canTomato puree|
|1/2 teaspoonBlack pepper|
|1/4 teaspoonGround cayenne pepper|
|1/4 teaspoonWhite pepper|
|1 wholeBay leaf|
|1/2 teaspoonChili powder|
|1/4 teaspoonDry mustard|
|1 1/2 poundsChicken; cubed|
|1 cupCilantro; chopped|
Fat Boy's Favorite Etouffee Preparation
Chop all vegetables prior to starting, everything depends on the roux. The vegetables get sauted with the roux before any liquids are added.
1. In a large pot heat the two tablespoons of bacon grease.
2. Add an equal amount of Flour to grease and stir constantly until mixture is the color of peanut butter. Add Bouillon cube and stir until dissolved.
3. Add garlic and saute for about two minutes. Repeat with the remaining vegetables working your way from hardest to softest.
4. Add chicken, stirring until all pieces are lightly browned.
5. Mix cornstarch with an equal amount of water and set aside.
6. Add remaining liquid ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
7. Add remaining spices and stir until well mixed.
8. Simmer for about ten minutes and adjust seasonings to taste.
9. Continue to cook until the chicken is done. Laddle over Rice and garnish with cilantro.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Fat Boy's Favorite Etouffee Reviews
[I posted this recipe.]
5 years, 11 months, 3 weeks, 1 days, 4 hours, 17 minutes ago