Braised Lamb Shanks with Fresh Rosemary Recipe #50879
A wonderful blend of flavors- perfumes the whole house. Perfect for company, since it can be made the day before. Everyone raves about it! I've doubled and tripled the recipe with success. It's from a 1998 Bon Appetit and Recipe #50881 that I've posted goes well with this--spoon some of the veggies and sauce over the polenta. Wonderful !!
Yield: 6 Ready in 3 hours, 30 minutes
favorite of 69 people 33 people want to try
Verified by stevemur
|6 lamb shanks; (I have also used leg of lamb, ask the butcher to cut it in 1 1/|
|2 tablespoonsolive oil|
|2 mediumOnions; chopped|
|3 largecarrots; peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds|
|10 clovesgarlic; cloves, minced|
|1 750-ml bottledry red wine; (Sangiovese is good)|
|1 28-oz candiced tomatoes with juice; (28 oz can)|
|1 14.5-oz canlow sodium chicken broth|
|1 14.5-oz canbeef broth|
|5 teaspoonsfresh rosemary; chopped|
|2 teaspoonsfresh thyme; chopped|
|2 teaspoonslemon zest; grated|
Braised Lamb Shanks with Fresh Rosemary Recipe #50879 Preparation
1. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil in heavy, large pot over medium-high heat.
3. Working in batches, add lamb to pot and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
4. Transfer to bowl.
5. Remove all but about 2 tablespoons of oil from pan.
6. Add onions, carrots, and garlic to pot and saute till golden, about 10 minute.
7. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
8. Return lamb to pot, pressing down to submerge.
9. Bring liquid to boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cover.
10. Simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
11. Uncover pot; simmer till meat is very tender, about 30 minutes.
12. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, cover, and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.) Transfer lamb to platter; tent with foil.
13. Boil juices in pot till thickened, about 15 minutes.
14. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over lamb.
time to make 3? hours 30 min prep
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Braised Lamb Shanks with Fresh Rosemary Recipe #50879 Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven