One of my Non-Italian Favorites for years
"Added garlic and used extra sharp cheese to the potatos. Fried after boiling with polska kielbasa and tossed with a mustard/vinegar sauce with onions. Labor intensive and takes a while to assemble...but they were delicious. Loved it."- terik1972
1,573 people want to try | 1,927 have favorited
* Bring to a boil two quarts of water.
* Peel potatoes and cut into medium pieces.
* Boil potatoes until soft, approximately 20 minutes.
* Drain potatoes well, add three ounces of milk, butter, salt and pepper and mix until mixture is smooth. Add cheddar cheese and mix again. Put mixture off to cool before using.
* On a clean surface, make a mountain with the flour. In the center of the mountain, make a dent with your fist. Pour in slightly beaten eggs and pinch of salt.
* Mix with your hands, adding milk slowly and mixing well after each addition to form a dough that is smooth and stiff but not sticky. If the dough is still wet, add more flour and knead well.
* Let the dough rest for about an hour and roll out as thin as possible and cut into three inch circles.
* Use a tablespoon to spoon in the filling.
* Wet edges of dough with fingertips dipped in water, then fold over and crimp edges with a fork to seal.
* Place pierogies in boiling salted water.
* They will float to the top when done (5-7 minutes)
**Serve with butter or Marinara sauce, your preference.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven