Ready in 2 hours
Catfish, grilled Hanoi style. Exotic flavors and great taste.
Top-ranked recipe named "Grilled Turmeric and Galanga Catfish (cha Ca Hanoi)"
1. Make the marinade: Peel the galanga and cut into thin slices. Pound in a mortar until mushy. Using your fingers, squeeze the pulverized galanga to extract as much juice as you can from the pulp. You should have about 2 teaspoons.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the galanga juice, yogurt, turmeric, sugar, rice vinegar, shrimp sauce and salt. Add the catfish and toss to evenly coat the fish. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Before cooking the fish, set the table with a plate of rice vermicelli and a platter of lettuce and basil. Combine the green onions and dill and put on a plate. Put the peanuts and dipping sauce in separate bowls. Provide each guest with a small bowl and chopsticks.
4. Heat grill to high. Grill the catfish pieces just until halfway done, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the fish to a plate and keep warm.
5. At the table with a portable stove (or on the cooktop) heat a little oil in a small skillet over moderate heat. Add some catfish pieces and a generous amount of dill and green onions (about 2/3 cup). Stir gently until the fish is hot and the dill and green onions wilted. Assemble in bowls with lettuce leaves, herbs, noodles and dipping
We learned this recipe during a Vietnamese BBQ class. It's delicious as a main dish or with other Vietnamese treats.