Ready in 1 hour
This cake is the one Olivia Walton made in the movie "The Homecoming", which was the basis for the TV series "The Waltons". She made the cake for Christmas Meal.
Top-ranked recipe named "Olivia Walton's Applesauce Cake"
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
2. Remove 1/2 cup flour mixture to a small bowl; stir in raisins and nuts.
3. Add remaining flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition.
Stir in raisin mixture.
4. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
5. Bake at 350? for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
My mother-in-law gave me this recipe but she boils the applesauce and pours it over the flour mixture with the baking soda on top (it will bubble). She then stirs in the butter, sugar mixture.
AnnetteKitchen 6 years agoMy mother-in-law gave me this recipe but she boils the applesauce and pours it over the flour mixture with the baking soda on top (it will bubble). She then stirs in the butter, sugar mixture. [I posted this recipe.]