Ready in 1 hour
My mother used to make this pie in Scotland. This is a savoury pie, but it's easy to make, and a hearty dinner.
"Very tasty. Adding a small amount of paprika makes it extra special. Had this a few times now, great stuff thanks for uploading"- philwoods
120 people want to try | 262 have favorited
1. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the beef mince for 4-5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it browns.
2. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the tomato pur?e and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute, then add the chopped mushrooms, the stout or beef stock and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool, then turn the meat mixture into a one litre pie dish.
3. Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface until it is slightly larger than the pie dish. Gently drape the pastry over the dish, pressing firmly onto the edges. Trim, then shape the edges into a fluted shape.
4. Cut some leaf shapes out of the pastry trimmings and decorate the top of the pie, sticking them to the pastry with the beaten egg yolk.
5. Make three or four slits in the pastry to allow the steam to escape, then brush the pie with the rest of the beaten egg yolk and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
6. To serve, slice into wedges.
Serve with buttered boiled potatoes and green peas.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
philwoods 2 months agoVery tasty. Adding a small amount of paprika makes it extra special. Had this a few times now, great stuff thanks for uploading
maxwell902 9 months ago
rossliz31 10 months agoTasty and easy to make, good with mash and peas
Rockhen 1 year agoI'll guess on what temp the oven should be. I'll follow pastry instructions on packet. ;)
robpears 2 years agoVery tasty and very simple to make!
danpa 5 years agoServe with buttered boiled potatoes and green peas. [I posted this recipe.]