Stuffed Yellow Squash
Verified by stevemur
|3/4 cup¾ c. uncooked brown rice|
|3 inches; long)|
|2 tablespoonsolive oil|
|1/2 poundlean ground beef|
|1 medonion; diced|
|1 clovegarlic; minced|
|1/2 green or red bell pepper; cut into ¼-inch dice|
|1 cantomato sauce|
|1/4 teaspoonchili powder; (up to 1/2 teaspoon)|
|2 tablespoonsbrown sugar|
|salt and pepper|
|1/2 cupsharp cheddar cheese; shredded|
Stuffed Yellow Squash Preparation
1. Bring water to boil in saucepan. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 min. or until done.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Cut each squash in half lengthwise; slice a sliver from the rounded side of each half so it sits flat. Scoop out seeds with a small spoon. Cut off excess "hook" end of squash; roughly chop and reserve. Place squash halves, skin side down, in a baking dish. (I lightly spray dish with Pam, first.) Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil over med. high heat. Add reserved chopped squash, bell pepper, onion, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until until bell pepper begins to soften, 3- 4 minutes; remove from pan.
5. In same skillet, brown beef well, breaking up meat with a spoon; blot excess fat in pan with paper towels. Return vegetables to pan with beef. Stir in tomato sauce and add desired amount of chili powder, salt and pepper, and brown sugar. Add cooked rice; simmer 4 – 5 minutes. If mixture seems dry, add a little water. Remove from heat.
6. Spoon meat mixture into squash halves. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until squash is tender, approx. 25 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and bake uncovered 5 minutes more.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Stuffed Yellow Squash Reviews
[I posted this recipe.]
4 years, 7 months, 7 hours, 27 minutes ago
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven