The Best Fried Rice
The title is apt. Adapted from The Chinese Cookbook, by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee."This was a great and easy recipe to make. I made the rice a few hours before and had it in the fridge till I was ready for it and it still worked out. I didn't add the shrimp as this was a side dish for another protein. Also we aren't fans of peas so I put in some frozen corn instead. This is a really adaptable recipe and you can add/remove so many different ingredients depending on your tastes. This is a keeper for sure!" - punkie569
Yield: 8 Servings Ready in 45 minutes
822 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
|4 cupscold cooked rice; cooked at least one day in advance|
|1 cupshrimps; shelled deveined and split in half lengthwise|
|4 tablespoonspeanut oil|
|1 teaspoongarlic; minced|
|2/3 cupcooked ham; cubed|
|1/2 cupgreen peas; cooked fresh or frozen|
|2 tablespoonsoyster sauce|
|1 cupfresh bean sprouts|
|1/2 cupscallions; chopped, green part included|
The Best Fried Rice Preparation
1. Flake the rice so that the grains do not stick together. Set aside.
2. Combine the shrimps with the salt and let stand 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in cold water and pat dry.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or skillet until it is almost smoking and add the shrimp, if raw. Cook stirring quickly and turning them in the oil until they turn pink, about 3 seconds. Remove to a sieve.
4. Return the oil to the wok, and add garlic and ham. Cook just to heat through, stirring. Add the rice, stirring rapidly, and cook until thoroughly heated without browning.
5. Do the following quickly: make a well in the center of the rice and add the eggs, stirring constantly. When they have a soft-scrambled consistency, start incorporating the rice, stirring in a circular fashion.
6. Add the peas and the salt, stirring. Stir in the oyster sauce and the cooked shrimps, tossing the rice over and over to blend everything. Stir in the bean sprouts and cook stirring and tossing, about 30 seconds. Add the scallions and serve immediately.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?