Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes take a beloved traditional recipe and make it even more flavorful. Yes, the cupcakes are the de rigueur red, but they are filled with mini chocolate chips to bring out the chocolate flavor. To complement the color and the flavor, I've paired them with a white chocolate frosting"These were absolutely fantastic! Many of my friends commented they were the best they'd tasted!! The white chocolate frosting took a while but was well worth it!" - Vickisbarclay
Yield: 24 Ready in 1 hours, 10 minutes
favorite of 672 people 313 people want to try
|24 paper liners for cupcake pans; (2 1/2 -inch size)|
|1 18.25-oz packageplain German chocolate cake mix|
|1 3.4-oz packagevanilla instant pudding mix|
|1 cupsour cream; (see "the Cupcake Doctor says")|
|1/2 cupVegetable oil|
|1 bottlered food coloring; (1 ounce)|
|1 cupminiature semisweet chocolate chips|
|White Chocolate Frosting|
|1/2 poundWhite chocolate|
|2 cupsButter or margerine|
Red Velvet Cupcakes Preparation
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. Set the pans aside.
2. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase themixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon or scoop N cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it three quarters of the way full. (You will get between 22 and 24 cupcakes; remove the empty liners, if any.) Place the pans in the oven.
3. Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edges of the cupcake liners, lift the cupcakes up from the bottoms of the cups using the end of the knife, and pick them out of the cups carefully with your fingertips. Place them on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before frosting.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the White Chocolate Frosting.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler. Stir flour into chocolate.
- Add milk a little at a time and blend well. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until very thick.
- Cool completely. In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add cooled chocolate mixture and beat until icing is the consistency of whipped cream.
5. Place a heaping tablespoon of frosting on each cupcake and swirl to spread with a short metal spatula or a spoon, taking care to cover the tops completely. Place these cupcakes, uncovered or in a cake server, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, 20 minutes. The cupcakes are ready to serve.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Red Velvet Cupcakes Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: