Chiffon Pumpkin Pie
We’ve been making the original recipe of this pie for 10 years. After a day of overeating, the lightness of this pie is just what the Doctor ordered for the last course.
It wasn’t hard to turn a pumpkin pie into an Indian delight. Squash and pumpkins have been in India for centuries. The filling's cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom are staples in Indian cooking already. We simply added chopped coconut to the crust and boosted the ginger profile with the addition of crystallized ginger into the filling and as a garnish.
Yield: 8 Ready in 2 hours
5 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
|For the crust:|
|14 2"gingersnaps; (about 4 ounces)|
|1 cupalmonds; (about 4 ounces)|
|1/4 cupgranulated sugar|
|1/2 stickunsalted butter; melted and cooled|
|1/2 cupsweet shredded coconut; finely chopped.|
|1 envelopeunflavored gelatin|
|2 tbspbrandy; rum or water|
|3/4 cupfirmly packed light brown sugar|
|4 largeegg yolks|
|1 1/4 cupscanned solid-pack pumpkin|
|1/2 tspground ginger|
|1/2 tspcrystallized ginger; chopped|
|1/4 tspnutmeg; freshly grated|
|3/4 cupHeavy cream|
Chiffon Pumpkin Pie Preparation
Here’s what you do:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Make the crust: In a food processor grind gingersnaps, almonds, coconut and sugar fine and add butter, blending until combined well. Press mixture onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (1-quart) glass pie plate. Bake crust in middle of oven 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden around edge, and cool on rack.
2. Make filling: In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over brandy, rum, or water and let stand. In a heavy saucepan whisk together milk, brown sugar, yolks, pumpkin, spices, and salt and cook over moderately low heat, whisking, until mixture registers 160°F. on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat and immediately add gelatin mixture, whisking until gelatin is completely dissolved.
3. Transfer filling to a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool, stirring constantly, just until the consistency of raw egg white. Remove bowl from ice water.
4. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat cream until it holds stiff peaks and whisk about one fourth into filling to lighten.
5. Fold in remaining cream gently but thoroughly and pour filling into crust. Chill pie until set, at least 3 hours and up to 24, covered with plastic wrap after 1 hour.
6. Top each serving with whipped cream and garnish with chopped crystallized ginger.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Chiffon Pumpkin Pie Reviews
Garnish: Chopped crystallized ginger sprinkled over the just out of the oven pie
Accompaniment: Whipped cream with finely ground cardamom dolloped over the top
[I posted this recipe.]
4 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 1 hours, 20 minutes ago