Ready in 1 hour
My Irish pride brought me to this wonderful recipe, where it combines the trifecta of flavors: chocolate, currants and Guinness. A delicious cake great for holiday get-togethers or whenever you are feeling the "Luck of the Irish". Enjoy!
"Excellent cake. I made this for a get together and it was gone 10 min utes after I served it ... big hit."- WhyNotTryIt
Top-ranked recipe named "Guinness Stout Chocolate Cake"
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- To prepare the syrup, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, whisking until smooth. Beat over medium heat until sugar dissolves and syrup is smooth.
1. To prepare cake, pour stout over currants cover and soak until plump.
2. Drain currants, reserving stout. Add stout to a small saucepan.
3. Whisk in 1/3 cup cocoa and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat add semisweet chocolate stirring until chocolate melts. Cool slightly add buttermilk
4. Combine 2 Tbsp. cocoa, 2 Tbsp. sugar and 2 Tbsp. flour.
5. Coat two 9" round layer pans with shortening and dust with cocoa. mixture.
6. Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 1-3/4 cups sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla extract.
7. Combine 2 cups flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt.
8. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with chocolate mixture, stirring until blended (batter may look curdled), stir in currants.
9. Divide the batter between pans.
10. Bake for 30 minutes until a wooden toothpick comes our clean when inserted neat the center of cake.
11. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes, invert onto racks.
12. Poke tops of cake layers with a a toothpick. Spoon Drizzling syrup over tops. Place one layer on platter. Spread warmed jelly over layer on platter. Chill 30 minutes. Cover jelly with about a quarter of the bittersweet icing.
13. Place second layer on top.
14. Ice the top and sides of cake and press nuts on the sides of cake.
1. Bring cream to a boil. Place chocolate in heatproof bowl. pour boiling cream over it and whisk until chocolate is thoroughly combines. Cover tightly and chill.
2. Chill beaters at the same time. Up to 3 hours before serving the cake.
3. When soft peaks form, sift the confectioners sugar and cocoa and add vanilla and salt. Continue to whipping until combined.