World's Best Lasagna
World's Best Lasagna!
"I found this dish to be phenomenal.
I couldn't stop eating it.
However, that being said... before making the dish I read the reviews and decided to reduce the amount of ricotta cheese, using 30 ounces (2 cartons) vs the 60 ounces listed.
Also, I increased the amount of meat from 1 pound to 1.75 pounds. I added 0.75 pounds of beef mixing that with the Italian sausage.
I will definitely be making this one again. "
2,338 people want to try | 5,118 have favorited
|1 poundSweet Italian Sausage|
|1/2 cupOnion; minced|
|4 clovesGarlic; crushed|
|28 ounceTomatoes; crushed|
|13 ounceTomato sauce|
|1 tablespoonSugar; white|
|1 1/2 teaspoonsBasil leaves; fresh and chopped|
|1/2 teaspoonFennel seeds|
|1 teaspoonItalian seasoning|
|1/4 teaspoonBlack pepper; ground|
|12 noodlesLasagna Noodles|
|16 ouncesRicotta cheese|
|4 ouncesMushrooms; sliced|
|1 1/2 poundsMozzarella; sliced|
|3 ouncesMozzarella; shredded, optional|
|3/4 cupParmesan cheese; grated|
World's Best Lasagna Preparation
1. In a Dutch oven, cook onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat until well browned.
2. Once the onions, garlic and mushrooms are browned, mix in and cook the sausage until browned.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1.5 teaspoons freshly chopped basil, .5 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, .5 tablespoon salt, .25 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley (optional). Simmer covered, for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. (or cook using hot water in a pan, which is much easier)
5. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with eggs, remaining parsley (optional), and .5 teaspoon salt.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
7. To assemble, spread 1.5 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
8. Spoon 1.5 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with .25 cup Parmesan cheese.
9. Add remaining 6 lasagna noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Cover with remainder of ricotta cheese mixture, one third of mozzarella cheese slices, then the remainder of the meat sauce, and then top with remaining one third mozzarella cheese slices and Parmesan cheese. Add extra shredded mozzarella cheese to put this dish way over the top.
10. Cover with foil. To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes (don't overheat!).
12. Cool for 15 minutes before pigging out!
This recipe was based on another recipe, and over time and many revisions, this is the best lasagna in the world! The original recipe is located at: ~~lthttp://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFourBySix.aspx?RecipeID=23600&servings=12>
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
World's Best Lasagna Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven