Ready in 45 minutes
World's Best Lasagna!
"I found this dish to be phenomenal.
I couldn't stop eating it.
However, that being said... before making the dish I read the reviews and decided to reduce the amount of ricotta cheese, using 30 ounces (2 cartons) vs the 60 ounces listed.
Also, I increased the amount of meat from 1 pound to 1.75 pounds. I added 0.75 pounds of beef mixing that with the Italian sausage.
I will definitely be making this one again. "
3,564 people want to try | 6,711 have favorited
1. In a Dutch oven, cook onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat until well browned.
2. Once the onions, garlic and mushrooms are browned, mix in and cook the sausage until browned.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Season with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1.5 teaspoons freshly chopped basil, .5 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, .5 tablespoon salt, .25 teaspoon black pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley (optional). Simmer covered, for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. (or cook using hot water in a pan, which is much easier)
5. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with eggs, remaining parsley (optional), and .5 teaspoon salt.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
7. To assemble, spread 1.5 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
8. Spoon 1.5 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with .25 cup Parmesan cheese.
9. Add remaining 6 lasagna noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Cover with remainder of ricotta cheese mixture, one third of mozzarella cheese slices, then the remainder of the meat sauce, and then top with remaining one third mozzarella cheese slices and Parmesan cheese. Add extra shredded mozzarella cheese to put this dish way over the top.
10. Cover with foil. To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
11. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes (don't overheat!).
12. Cool for 15 minutes before pigging out!
This recipe was based on another recipe, and over time and many revisions, this is the best lasagna in the world! The original recipe is located at: ~~lthttp://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFourBySix.aspx?RecipeID=23600&servings=12>
BigOven Tip: Lasagna freezes well. Make ahead of time and reheat in a 350 degree oven. Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes - 1 hour depending on your oven. Check that center is warm.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
arleneskitchen06 3 days 13 hours ago
youthminfrog 1 month agoThis recipe is now a family favorite! We've also used the sauce for spaghetti too. Best. Lasagna. Ever.
narii 1 month agoGreat recipe. I made it today with 2/3 of asked amount of crushed tomato and I only had shredded mozzarella. For everything else I followed this recipe and it came out perfect. Easy to make and it's a keeper!
elissabenjamin 1 month agoHUGE success!
imdequeen 2 months agoSounds delicious
KalEl3291 2 months agoRecipe doesn't say anything about parsley, but it's in instructions?
mammylou5 2 months ago
frytator 3 months agoI LOVE YOU! This is by far the best lasagna ever! My grandmother is Italian and she kept going on and on about how proud she was that I used Nana's recipe. I never said a word!!! THANK YOU
Kimboslice1960 4 months agoMade this tonite...was good but next time I think I'll use ground beef and omit the salt...tasted a lil salty....also added a bay leaf...I also seasoned the meat...
scootersweb 4 months agoThis was pretty good and I will use the recipe again if I decide to make Lasagna, but I don't know that I would call it the World's best. Still it was very good.
Azawadski 4 months agoI made this Sunday for dinner and it was by far the BEST lasagna I've ever made and it seemed so much easier than other recipes I've tried. But this is the one! I won't need to try other recipes now, cause this will forever be my go to lasagna recipe!
tma71111 4 months agoI made this for my family to tonight it was very good everyone enjoyed it will b making it again the only thing u did different was not having a Dutch oven and did the first two steps on low heat in skillet on top of stove and aded eoregeno to onions and garlic
jlsolomon 5 months ago
117928 6 months ago
mrcook1 6 months ago
mpau0516 7 months agoGreat dish! I added an extra layer of noodles to make 2 layers instead of 2. And I still had another layer of noodles left over. Next time I'll double the sauce! Extremely delicious !!!
jarelle 7 months ago
achrona5 8 months agoReally is worlds best. Used Italian chicken sausage from Sprouts, portabella pasta sauce and Romano cheese. Made 2 with this recipe.
mizyadi29 8 months ago
Sandoval214 8 months ago