Ready in 2 hours
Texas Chili - No beans. This has a slow burn which builds as you eat it. Check for spice level between spice dumps if you worry about the heat.
Top-ranked recipe named "Texas Chili (sneaky Pete)"
1. finely chop onion and garlic cloves
2. Coursely grind the chuck roast or stew meat
3. Cut sirloin steak into small cubesm abut 3/8 to 1/2 inches
4. Dice bacon
5. Cut slits in jalapeno peppers
6. break dried peppers and remove seeds from 3 (save seeds from one) Remove stems if present. Process until fine. Add water and let sit for minutes. Process until liquefied.
1. Cook bacon over medium heat until nearly crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon
2. Brown meat in batches using the bacon drippings, remove from pan into stock pot
3. Cook the garlic and onions until tender; add to pot
4. Add 2 of the jalepno peppers
5. Cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes or until jalepenos are soft
6. Using a colander, squeeze peppers to remove juice being careful not to add seeds and skin
7. Mix liquified peppers, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano with water if needed to make a loose paste
8. Add 1/3 of the paste to pot with the remaining jalapenos and simmer for 30 minutes
9. Juice the jalapenos when soft
10. Add another 1/3 of the paste and simmer another 30 minutes
11. Mix masa harina with a little warm water and add to pot with remaining chili paste and simmer 30 minutes.
This chili has a slow burn, thus the name. Consider adding cayenne pepper to taste to add more immediate heat. Garmish with fresh cilantro if desired.