Thai Vegetable Stew
Creamy and slightly tangy with a bit of spiciness, this stew is wonderful on a chily day.
"Hubby said 'You've outdone yourself.' I made a few subs based on our preferences, and I looked up a recipe for Thai green curry paste online and made my own version as I couldn't find any. Amazing flavors!"- Nikhomemadegood
24 people want to try | 20 have favorited
|2 tablespoonsCanola oil|
|1 largeRed bell pepper; - 1/2 inch diced|
|1 smallOnion, yellow; - 1/4 inch diced|
|2 tablespoonsGinger root; - minced|
|2 clovesGarlic; - minced|
|2 tablespoonsThai Green Curry Paste; - or more, to taste|
|14 ouncesCoconut milk, unsweetened; - one can|
|2 tablespoonsThai Fish sauce; - Nam Pla|
|2 teaspoonsBrown sugar|
|1 cupPotatoes; - 1/2 inch cubed|
|1 cupCarrot; - peeled & thin sliced|
|1 mediumZucchini; - cut in 1/2 rounds|
|2 tablespoonslime juice; - of one large lime|
|3 cupsRice; - cooked|
|1/4 cupBasil leaves; - chiffonade|
Thai Vegetable Stew Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; saute until vegetable begin to soften (about 5 minutes.). Add garlic, ginger, and curry paste. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar and water to the pot. Bring this to a simmer.
3. Add the potatoes and carrots then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until vegetable just begin to soften (5 to 8 minutes).
4. Add zucchini and edemame then simmer for another 8 minutes. If the stew is too thick, thin it with a bit of water.
5. Stir in lime juice and serve over cooked rice. Garnish with basil shreds.
Switch out the fish sauce for lite soy sauce if you need this to be a true vegetarian dish.
Add about a pound of white fish (i.e. Tilapia) cut in medium chunks when you add the final vegetables and you''ll have an excellent fish stew.
Each (1/2 cup rice & 1 cup stew) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 405, FatCals: 163, TotFat: 19g
SatFat: 10g, PolyFat: 3g, MonoFat; 6g
Chol: 0mg, Na: 495mg, K: 885mg
Total carbs: 46g, Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 7g
NetCarbs; 39g. protein; 11g
Everyone I've served this to has asked for seconds.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Thai Vegetable Stew Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven