Vicky's Garam Masala
This is the mix of spices I ended up with after much enjoyable and fragrant experimentation for use in my curried dishes. Very important to get fresh spices, grind and roast them only when using them, if specified.
Yield: 40 Ready in 45 minutes
1 people trying soon
|ground (about 30) green cardamon pods|
|ground (about 10) black cardamon pods|
|1/2 tspground cloves|
|1 tablespoonground mace|
|2 tablespoonground cinnamon|
|7 tablespoonground cumin|
|2 tablespoonground coriander seeds|
|1 tablespoonground fennel seeds|
|1 tspground black peppercorns|
|1/2 tspground fennugreek seeds|
|1 tsphot chili peppers; (more if you want it hot!)|
|mango powder (optional)|
Vicky's Garam Masala Preparation
1. Roast fresh cardamon pods, and seeds at low temperature in a heavy bottomed pan (cast iron is great) for about 3 minutes each. Be sure they do not burn. Move pan around if necesarry. Discard any burnt seeds or pods.
2. Grind each spice in a dedicated coffee grinder and then measure out amount specified. Store any excess in airtight glass containers and label clearly! (you might THINK you will remember which is which later, but.....)
3. Mix up all spices by hand in a bowl and bottle in airtight glass containers and label.
4. Store in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
5. This masala is not very hot. If you like it hotter experiment with adding more chili peppers.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?