Mama Vic's Vegetarian Manicotti
This recipe makes your whole kitchen smell great. It tastes even better on day 2 and 3. Great for leftovers. If you like feta a lot, you can put more feta in, and less mozzarella."This is a really good Manicotti Recipe. Quick to put together and I love the fresh basil and parsley added to a jarred sauce. I will make this a lot and added it to my favorites!" - Barbieh11
Yield: 7 Ready in 1 hours, 10 minutes
321 people trying soon
|1 225-g boxmanicotti pasta; (14 tubes)|
|1 bay leaf|
|1 Filling and topping;|
|755 gramfresh spinach; (9-oz), (alternately use frozen spinach)|
|1 smallricotta cheese; container, (6-oz)|
|1 tablespoondried oregano|
|1 parsley; small bunch|
|1 fresh basil; small bunch|
|1 canyour favorite tomatoe spaghetti sauce; (or homemade)|
Mama Vic's Vegetarian Manicotti Preparation
1. Fill a large pot with salted water, add bay leaf and heat to boiling. Add manicotti. Cook about 12 minutes or as specified on box. Drain and rinse with cold water so rolls do not stick. Leave in the seive until it is time for stuffing.
2. Now you should have 3 bowls; 2 medium and one larger sized bowl for the remaining ingedients. The larger one will be referred to as the filling bowl; one medium will be the cheese topping bowl; the other, for the tomatoe sauce.
3. While pasta is cooking, cook spinach in small amount of salted water until wilted and drain in seive. Keep pressing down on spinach while in seive to get out every last drop of water. You can even squeeze it in your fist.
4. Chop dried spinach and put into large bowl for filling.
5. Add feta, ricotta, oregano and eggs to filling bowl
6. Grate mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggianno into the cheese topping bowl. Then remove about half of the cheese and add it to the filling bowl. Keep the rest aside for topping.
7. Pour tomatoe sauce into the third bowl and add finely chopped parsley and basil and stir by hand.
8. Stir filling ingredients by hand.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
10. Take out a good sized baking dish; add a spoonful of tomatoe sauce to bottom, and begin stuffing manicotti rolls. Lay them out in 2 rows. Cover with most of tomatoe sauce and top with most of cheese. Put remaining rolls on top. Pour remaining tomatoe sauce and cheese on top.
10. Tent dish lightly with foil so that foil does not touch cheese and put into oven.
11. Bake for 40 minutes
12. Remove from oven and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?