Werner's New England Clam Chowder
Try this Werner's New England Clam Chowder recipe, or contribute your own. "Picnics" and "Summer" are two of the tags cooks chose for Werner's New England Clam Chowder.
Yield: 0 Ready in 45 minutes
favorite of 23 people 10 people want to try
Werner's New England Clam Chowder Preparation
- Clams I get from Sams Club
- Open can of clams and strain reserving liquid.
- Dice and peel potatoes and add to reserved clam juice in large bowl. Add water if not completely covered.
- In large pot or dutch oven, saute bacon until just before crisp.
- Add onion and saute in bacon for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Remove bacon and onion from pot and set aside, leaving bacon fat in pot. You can add to potatoes and clam juice if you like
- Add 1/2 of the butter(1/2 stick along with reserved bacon fat) and a couple Tb flour to make light brown roux.
- Add all ingredients except for clams including all set aside ingredients;potatoes, bacon, onion, cream, milk, remaining butter.
- Bring to simmer and simmer slowly for 25 minutes or so. This melds the ingredients and cooks potatoes. If your diced potatoes are larger cubes you might have to simmer longer.
- Make slurry with water and flour and thicken more if desired. How thick will vary according to preference. I like my chowder thicker than soup however not too much like a stew. If the recipe is followed, not much if any thickening will be needed.
- Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Add clams and simmer for 15 more minutes til cooked
Serve with oyster crackers... Enjoy.
This is a recipe I have tweaked for 15 years and is my own. Its always a big hit. See variations and notes below. Please let me know what you think if you try it.
Variations and footnotes:
- Sometimes Ill cover potatoes with regular tap water (instead of clam juice) and par boil for 5 minutes and add the clam juice after.
- Sometimes Ill parboil as above but do it with cooked bacon/onion in the mix
- Shot of tobasco sauce is pretty good as well.
- Occasionally Ill buy clam juice in addition to what is strained and cover the potatoes in that as well.
- Sometimes a little celery seed as an addition goes nice. Even celery stalk chopped is good.
- Sometimes diced carrots are a nice addition. I add with onions and bacon to cook.
- Sometimes Ill buy clam juice and add some additional or cover potatoes in it for more clam flavor.
- Sometimes fresh clams are a nice addition
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Werner's New England Clam Chowder Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on: