To make this a vegan dish, simply replace the Cornbread Topping with a pastry topping (like you would use for pot pie). Drape it over the filling, and tuck in the sides just before baking."To clarify, I kept the cornbread topping but made it vegan with soy buttermilk (soy milk + lemon juice) and egg replacer. Also subbed out the non-vegan Boca...DELISH!!!" - JessieEK
Yield: 6 Ready in 1 hours, 25 minutes
22 people trying soon
|2 tablespoonscanola oil|
|1 mediumonion; chopped (about 1 cup)|
|1 mediumAnaheim chile; seeded, chopped|
|2 cupsfrozen corn kernels; thawed|
|1 tablespoonsall-purpose flour|
|1 12-oz packageBoca meatless ground burger|
|2 14.5-oz cansdiced tomatoes|
|1 CORNBREAD TOPPING|
|1 cupyellow cornmeal|
|0.75 cupall-purpose flour|
|1.5 tablespoonslight brown sugar|
|1.25 teaspoonsbaking powder|
|0.5 teaspoonbaking soda|
|2 largeEggs; separated|
|0.25 cupcanola oil|
|3 green onions; finely chopped|
|1 smalljalapeno; seeded, finely chopped|
Mexicali Pie Preparation
1. To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, flour and soy crumbles, breaking up with wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. (If seasoning is too mild for you, add 1/2 tsp. or so each of chili powder and cumin.)
2. Transfer mixture to greased 1 1/2-qt. baking dish. Preheat oven to 400F.
3. To make Cornbread Topping: Combine cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl, and mix well; set aside. Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl until pale; whisk in buttermilk and oil. Set aside. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form.
4. Make well in dry ingredients, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined. Add green onions and jalape?o. Fold in egg whites. Pour over vegetable mixture.
5. Bake until topping is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Per SERVING: Calories: 504, Protein: 22g, Total fat: 20g, Carbs: 62g, Cholesterol: 74mg, Sodium: 998mg, Fiber: 10g, Sugars: 16g
Vegetarian Times, February 2006 p.70
Definitely a keeper! Takes a little time to assemble (about 30-45 minutes), and then has to bake for 45 minutes, but it's easy to make, and worth the effort. The original recipe called for Mexican seasoned soy crumbles, which our store didn't have, so we used Boca crumbles. If using Boca crumbles, you will need to add some Mexican seasonings. We used about a teaspoon each of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Makes 6 generous servings.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?