Coconut French Toast
Scrumptious French toast with a taste of the tropics, touched by the flavor of coconut and banana.
Yield: 4 Servings Ready in 40 minutes
86 people trying soon
Verified by stevemur
|1 loafFrench bread; unsliced|
|1 cupwhole milk|
|1 cupcoconut milk|
|0.5 cupcoconut cream|
|1 teaspoonground cinnamon|
|1 tablespoonvanilla extract|
|1 tablespoonpowdered sugar; to taste|
|1 banana; thinly sliced|
|2 tablespoonstoasted coconut flakes; to taste|
|1 cupmaple syrup; to taste|
Coconut French Toast Preparation
1. Cut bread into 4 2-inch slices. Trim crusts, and cut in half diagonally.
2. Combine eggs and next 6 ingredients in a mixing bowl. If the coconut cream is congealed, warm the coconut cream in the microwave and stir till the mixture is smooth and liquid. Transfer to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
3. Soak bread in egg mixture, turning so all sides are coated. Pressing down on the bread will help absorb the egg mixture all the way through the bread.
4. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet or griddle. Drain bread slices and cook in hot butter 30 to 45 seconds or until golden brown. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, toast the coconut flakes lightly.
7. Warm plates to serve the French toast on (they are best when eaten still warm to hot).
8. Use a sharp knife to slice the banana very thinly and garnish the plate and the tops of the cooked bread with them (thicker slices can go on the plate, the thinnest on the bread).
9. Serve with powdered sugar, toasted coconut flakes and maple syrup. Alternate: serve with spiced rum reduction glaze/syrup of rum, honey, maple syrup and coconut cream.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?