170 people want to try | 348 have favorited
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan with solid shortening and flour.
2. Add baking powder and salt to cake flour, sift and set aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar until color is light and volume has doubled.
4. Add vanilla to milk, then alternately stir milk mixture and flour mixture into egg yolks.
5. in a small bowl, beat egg whites to form soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 1/4 of sugar. Beat until firm but not dry. Fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Fold about 1/4 of the egg whites into the yolk mixture first to lighten the heavier yolk mixture. Be careful not to over fold. It should take approximately 60 - 90 seconds to blend.
6. Pour into prepared pan.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
8. Loosen edge of cake with knife before removing side of pan. Cool completely. Place on a plate with sides high enough to catch the milk when you pour it over the cake.
9. Use a 2-prong fork to liberally pierce the cake approximately 1 1/4 inches deep.
10. Mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of whipping cream. Toss out one cup of the milk mixture. Pour remaining milk mixture over cake very slowly until absorbed.
11. Refrigerate cake under a domed cake platter for 24 hours.
12. Whip the remaining whipping cream until thickened and reaches spreadable consistency. Frost cake with whipped cream. Remove the tops from the strawberries, cut in half and garnish with strawberries and shaved chocolate.
13. Keep this milk cake refrigerated.
Guest, you can Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
Debbedoll 8 months agoThis cake was wonderful and quite easy to make. I just have 2 questions that maybe someone could help me with. My cake sank in the middle while cooling. It was done in the center. Anyone know how to prevent that in the future? Also, I hated to throw out the excess evaporated, condensed milks an cream mixture. Any ideas what else that mixture can be used for?
jacklyndavila 1 year ago
JC972 4 years agoThe 24 hour refrigeration makes the cake moist without being wet which is sometimes how the traditional Mexican dessert is made. [I posted this recipe.]