Flax Seed Multigrain Bread Loaf
This loaf rises well, has a dark crust, a soft texture with a good bite, and great flavor. It is fairly high in protein and fiber (a two slice sandwich has ~25% RDA of each before you put anything between the slices).
11 people want to try | 21 have favorited
|1 1/2 tablespoonolive oil|
|3/4 cupswhite bread flour|
|1/2 cupsWhole wheat flour|
|1/4 cupflax Seed|
|1/2 cupsoy flour; defatted|
|1/4 cupRolled oats|
|2 tablespoonpotato flakes|
|2 tablespoonbuttermilk powder|
|4 tablespoonvital wheat gluten|
Flax Seed Multigrain Bread Loaf Preparation
1. Place ingredients in bread machine in the order recommended by manufacturer (typically liquids, salt, oil.sweeterer, then flour and other
ingredients). All ingredients should be at room temperature.
2. Set for dough cycle (see Note) and start the machine. Check the dough after 20-30 minutes. The dough ball should be smooth firm and slightly
tacky. If too dry or lumpy, add water a teaspoon at a tine to get right. If too moist, add flour a teaspoon at a time. (let kneading continue for a
minute or so between additions).
3. At end of dough cycle remove the dough ball to a floured countertop. Roll/form into a loaf shape. Place in pan or allow to rise as free form loaf. Let rise for 40 minutes in warm place.
4. Make a 1/8" vent slash alont the top of the loaf. Bake until well browned (25-27 minutes) in a preheated oven. See note below for oven temperature suggestions. Spray loaf, and inside of oven
with water 3 or 4 times during eary stages of baking,( about 1-2 minutes apart) for a crustier loaf.
5. Turn out onto rack and let cool. Store in a plasic bag.
Note: If you prefer to let the machine do the full kneading and baking, set the machine for full cycle with light crust (the soy flour browns faster
than other flours). I find I get 100% consistent results using the dough cycle and oven baking - just my preference.
Oven Temperature and Baking Preference Notes:
- Oven baking in glass (Pyrex) pan: Preheat to 350F, lower to 340F after putting loaf in oven
- Oven baking in metal pan: Preheat to 360F, lower to 350F after putting loaf in oven
- Oven baking free form loaf: Preheat to 360F, leave. Use baking parchment on a cookie sheed or Pizza stone.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Flax Seed Multigrain Bread Loaf Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven