Beef Stew with Dumplings
|-- FOR THE BEEF STEW --|
|2 tablespoonsolive oil|
|750 gramsbeef stewing steak; chopped into bite-sized pieces|
|2 tablespoonsPlain flour|
|2 medium clovesgarlic; crushed|
|175 gramsbaby onions; peeled|
|150 gramscelery; cut into large chunks|
|150 gramscarrots; cut into large chunks|
|2 mediumleeks; roughly chopped|
|200 gramsswede; cut into large chunks|
|150 millilitersred wine|
|500 millilitersbeef stock|
|2 largeBay Leaf; fresh|
|3 tablespoonsfresh thyme leaves|
|3 tablespoonsfresh flatleaf parsley; chopped|
|Worcestershire sauce; to taste|
|1 tablespoonbalsamic vinegar; or to taste|
|salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|-- FOR THE DUMPLINGS --|
|125 gramsplain flour; plus extra for dusting|
|1 teaspoonBaking Powder|
|1 small pinchsalt|
|water; to make a dough|
|-- TO SERVE --|
|1 tablespoonflatleaf parsley; chopped|
Beef Stew with Dumplings Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. For the beef stew, heat the oil and butter in an ovenproof casserole and fry the beef briskly until browned on all sides.
3. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and all the vegetables and fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir in the wine, stock and herbs, then add the Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, to taste. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and cook for about two hours, or until the meat is tender.
7. For the dumplings, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
8. Add the suet and enough water to form a thick dough.
9. With floured hands, roll spoonfuls of the dough into small balls.
10. After two hours, remove the lid from the stew and place the balls on top of the stew. Cover, return to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the dumplings have swollen and are tender.
11. To serve, place a spoonful of mashed potato onto each of four serving plates and top with the stew and dumplings. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Beef Stew with Dumplings Reviews
Really tasty, my one year old twins couldn't get enough of it :)
9 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes ago
[I posted this recipe.]
3 years, 8 months, 5 days, 13 hours, 38 minutes ago
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven