Ready in 45 minutes
Tried and True, this recipe was passed down to me from my maternal Grandmother. It is the meatloaf that she used to serve for Sunday dinner and has been a favorite of our family for as long as I can remember! Grandma always served it with scalloped potatoes and creamed corn. Try it with your favorite salad and vegetable side dishes.
"This is a very flavorful "old fashioned" meatloaf. Really light and super moist. I am trying out lots of meatloaf recipes as my new son in law doesnt care for my recipe and my daughter is looking for a new one. This will definately satisfy EVERYONE. Old fashioned, but very good. The red sauce is not ketchupy, but instead has a great sweet flavor. It baked and came to temperature in only one hour in my oven. The only thing I changed was to add a bit more flavor to the meat, garlic and onion powder. other than that. Perfect!!"- niceNspicy
2,624 people want to try | 3,514 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Grandma's Meatloaf"
For the glaze:
1) In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and brown sugar. Set aside. (Note: You may double (or more) the glaze, if desired. Also, a second batch of glaze, simmered over medium-low heat until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes, is good to serve seperately with the meatloaf.)
For the meatloaf:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a medium skillet, saute onions in olive oil until just translucent, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
3) In a large bowl, mix together onion, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and milk until well combined.
4) Add ground beef, eggs, crushed crackers, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix with fork until evenly blended and mixture doesn''t stick to the bowl. If it sticks add more milk. (Note: Handle meat gently; it should be thoroughly combined but not made into a mushy paste.)
5) With wet hands, pat mixture into a greased 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Line loaf pan with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up, if desired
6) Brush with glaze, if desired.
7) Place in center of preheated oven and bake, uncovered, until cooked through and a thermometer inserted into center registers 160 degrees F, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
8) Drain any excess fat, and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
7591 6 days 2 hours ago
tlbarker72 1 week agoThis is a super yummy meatloaf! I used the chili sauce and doubled the glaze. Since I completely spaced out while I was shopping and forgot the tomato paste, I used some of the glaze mixture in the meatloaf. I also sauteed some green bell pepper with the onion and used garlic
Thorena 4 weeks agoVery delicious.
icenbleu 1 month agoMy son begs for me to make this meatloaf over and over again! It is fantastic! I add green bell peppers just because I believe they have to be in meatloaf. Also, I replace the saltines with Ritz (registered trademark) crackers because they provide the same thickening effect with a buttery flavor. :-)
mannmenu 1 month agoBest meatloaf I have ever made!
willidiots 3 months agoSauce / glaze was excellent. Meatloaf had good consistency but not much flavor, mostly just tasted like ground beef. Would add sauce into the meat before mixing next time.
gigisrecipes 5 months agoExcellent! Sauce is the best double it, you'll love it!
Bnfowler19 6 months agoNormally I am not a huge meatloaf fan but this meatloaf is awesome! My husband and I love this recipe. It is now my go to meatloaf. You're recipes are always great. Thanks for posting!
Sofia78 10 months ago
overjinx 11 month agoTurned out pretty good, I never thought of using chili sauce, I love that sauce...way better than ketchup!
joannacruz 1 year agoI made this recipe for tonights dinner and my 2year old has become the biggest fan of it. My mother in law said it was great & wanted the recipe but I might have to hold this recipe hostage and as my secret weapon :) Thank you to ur grandmother for passing this down. Deeeelish!
SerinaNicole 1 year ago
wonlaw15 1 year ago
Haileemichelle 1 year agoToo sweet tasting for meatloaf I thought. Didn't like at all.
tahquitz 1 year agoThis is the best meatloaf I have ever had. Amazing.
spaige 1 year agoJust made it, took a little to fry a mini hamburger to check the taste.......very good! Can't wait for dinner!
caylacakes 1 year agoThe sauce was great. But the meatloaf was dry and not very flavorful.
plvsy 1 year ago
Hm2hrt 1 year agoI love this meatloaf. We've had it a few times. The last time I made it I didn't see any specific measurements? I'm not sure why. Maybe a big oven bug. The meatloaf is delicious!
Westlinwind 1 year agoMade it using breadcrumbs instead of crackers. Moist, tasty and the kids loved it.