Ready in 1 hour
This is a traditional Swedish dish often found as a part of a smorgasbord, especially around the holidays.
A note regarding anchovies. Anchovies found in most supermarkets are the Spanish variety. The Spanish variety can be used and it comes out pretty good, although somewhat saltier. For authenticity, Swedish anchovies should be used. I know that unless you live in Sweden, it may be difficult to find, but if you live near an Ikea store, you can usually find Swedish anchovies in the Swede shop found at most Ikeas world wide. Another variation is to use Swedish caviar instead of anchovies. Swedish caviar is cod roe which comes in tubes and can also be found at Ikea.
16 people want to try | 25 have favorited
Top-ranked recipe named "Jansson's Temptation"
1. Peel and chop potatoes and onion into thin slices.
2. Grease a baking dish
3. Layer the baking dish with potatoes in the bottom, followed by the onion, then lay out the anchovy fillets, followed by a second layer of potatoes and finally cover with breadcrumbs.
4. Pour half the milk into the dish and place clicks of butter on top.
5. Place in oven at 400F for 40 minutes
6. Pierce the potato to check if it's soft and add the remaining milk and bake for another 5 minutes.
BigOven makes mealtime easy!
You may also enjoy:
jnpet 4 years ago[I posted this recipe.]