Tripe Soup (Soupa de Mondongo)
This is a Traditional Central American soup of Honduras. Although tripe might be difficult to cook due to sanitation (must be cleaned well), taste/ flavor(rough taste, sour flavor if not cooked properly), long cooking time, etc. I believe if cooked the correct way this dish brings the true goodness of the tripe. Just Like Chicken! This recipe is a perfect example on how something like tripe (stomach lining) can be changed and made tasty. Side note: Although I might post the recipe in cooking “cuts”; rough chops is the traditional way."This soup is universal. Tzorba in Romania, Taki in Poland. It exist in Asia and Africa as well. Almost in 40 countries. 40 different names" - Kasza
Yield: 10 Ready in 10 hours
favorite of 12 people 6 people want to try
|0.5 bunchCelery; Brunoise (Apio)|
|2 Carrots; depending on size(zanaoria), Brunoise|
|3 mediumwhite or yellow Brunoise|
|2 Green Plantains; bias cut(platano verde)|
|0.5 Cabbage; shredded (Repollo)|
|2 cansbrunoise (tomate); use other but quantity depends on size|
|1 smallSquash; (ayote), Brunoise|
|5 Red Potatoes; (papas), Brunoise|
|1 bunchCulantro; Chiffonade|
|1 bunchparsley; finely chopped (perejil)|
|1 canCoconut milk; (leche de coco)|
|2 tablespoonCorn oil|
|3 bay leaves; (ojas de laurel)|
|5 cloves; (clavos de olor)|
|1 packageBeef consume; may add more, however, more concentrated than stock; be careful.|
|3 lbstripe; big chunks (mondongo)|
|1 salt and pepper; to taste|
|3 Red chiles; ( for spicy flavor)|
|Cooked white rice or brown rice; (healthier)|
Tripe Soup (Soupa de Mondongo) Preparation
1. Heat a large pot and add corn oil. On medium high.
2. Add garlic, cloves, bay leaves, and tripe. Sautee for a couple of minutes (may add the optional red chiles for spiciness).
3. Add water, bring to a boil and let simmer (covered) till tender. Aprox. 5- 8 hours
4. When tender remove tripe from soup, either cut into Julienne strips or manageable chunks smaller than a spoon size. Re-add to the tripe to the soup when strained.
5. Strain soup of the garlic, cloves, and, bay leaves.
6. Add all vegetables and herbs: celery, carrots, onions, plantains, cabbage, tomato, squash, potatoes, culantro, parsley, and the coconut milk. taste for seasonings.(remain in simmering)
7. Cook until vegetables are tender. Aprox. 30 minutes. Taste again before serving.
8. Serve in bowl aside with a quarter lime and the optional cooked white or brown rice.
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Tripe Soup (Soupa de Mondongo) Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven