Red Velvet Cupcakes
|1 * Cupcakes *|
|2 1/2 cupscake flour; sifted|
|1 teaspoonbaking powder|
|2 tablespoonsunsweetened cocoa powder|
|2 oz.red food coloring; (two bottles)|
|1/2 cupunsalted butter; softened|
|1 1/2 cupsSugar|
|2 Eggs; at room temperature|
|1 teaspoonvanilla extract|
|1 cupbuttermilk; at room temperature|
|1 teaspoonwhite vinegar|
|1 teaspoonbaking soda|
|1 * Cream Cheese Frosting *|
|16 oz.cream cheese; (2 packages) softened|
|1/2 cupunsalted butter; (one stick) softened|
|1 teaspoonvanilla extract|
|2 1/2 cupspowdered sugar; sifted|
Red Velvet Cupcakes Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside. In a small bowl, mix food coloring and cocoa powder to form a thin paste without lumps; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red cocoa paste, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as you go. Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
4. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Yes, it will fizz! Add vinegar mixture to the cake batter and stir well to combine. Using an ice cream scoop, fill cupcake cups with cake batter (they should be 2/3 – 3/4 full). You may not fill all the cups, I ended up with 20 cupcakes. Place muffin tins on the middle rack of a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check early and don’t overbake!
5. Cool the cupcakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely before frosting. Frost cupcakes with cream cheese icing and decorate with red sprinkles if desired.
For the frosting
With an electric mixer, blend together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Turn mixer to low speed and blend in powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Turn mixer on high and beat until light and fluffy. Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. If refrigerated, the frosting will need to be brought to room temperature before using (after frosting softens up, beat with mixer until smooth).
Link to another BigOven recipe
Add a link to another recipe! What would you serve with this?
You may also enjoy
Red Velvet Cupcakes Reviews
Blogger? Grab a link to this recipe
Add to on:
Tweets by @bigoven